Thorson Sits atop Midget Power Rankings
The Wheatley Chronicles – Volume IV, No. 33
Lonnie Wheatley, TULSA, Okla. (July 25, 2016) – With the Road to Belleville beginning next Tuesday night at Fairbury, Nebraska’s Jefferson County Speedway, Tanner Thorson retains the number one ranking in the latest www.midgetmadness.com Midget Power Rankings.
Gunning for the top Midget Power Ranking spot for a second consecutive year, the Minden, NV, native reached double digits in the win column for 2016 with his tenth triumph of the year on July 15 in POWRi action at Belle-Clair Speedway in Belleville, IL. Thorson topped seven feature events in 2015.
With his most recent win, Thorson holds a 33 point advantage over Keith Kunz Racing stablemate Spencer Bayston with Pocahontas, IL, shoe Zach Daum holding down the third ranking.
Kunz Racing now holds three of the top four position with Carson Macedo edging ahead of Bryan Clauson for the fourth ranking by just one point.
The balance of the current top ten includes Tyler Thomas, Justin Peck, Rico Abreu, Andrew Felker and Alex Bright.
The ARDC and RMMRA ranks both have weekend doubles coming up with the POWRi West series in action as well on Saturday before the week leading into next weekend’s Belleville Midget Nationals gets an early jump start with USAC sanctioned “Tuesday Night Thunder” on August 2 at Jefferson County Speedway and then the “Chad McDaniel Memorial” at Beloit, Kansas’ Solomon County Raceway on Wednesday night.
www.midgetmadness.com Midgets (Top 40 – Through July 24):
Rank – Name, Hometown (Wins) – Points (+/- previous ranking)
- Tanner Thorson, Minden NV (10) 441
- Spencer Bayston, Lafayette IN (3) 408
- Zach Daum, Pocahontas IL (2) 353
- Carson Macedo, Lemoore CA (3) 264 (+1)
- Bryan Clauson, Noblesville IN (4) 263 (-1)
- Tyler Thomas, Collinsville OK 184
- Justin Peck, Monrovia IN 180 (+2)
- Rico Abreu, Rutherford CA (3) 174 (-1)
- Andrew Felker, Carl Junction MO (2) 171 (-1)
- Alex Bright, Collegeville PA (4) 146
- Austin Brown, Millstadt IL (2) 144 (+2)
- Shane Golobic, Fremont CA (1) 141 (-1)
- Christopher Bell, Norman OK (2) 137 (-1)
- Ryan Robinson, Forest Hill CA 131
- Tucker Klaasmeyer, Paola KS 121 (+1)
- Brady Bacon, Broken Arrow OK 120 (-1)
- Jake Neuman, New Berlin IL 114
- Ronnie Gardner, Norco CA (4) 112 (+3)
- Chad Boat, Phoenix AZ 99 (-1)
- Jerry Coons, Jr., Tucson AZ 99 (-1)
- Kyle Larson, Elk Grove CA (1) 96 (-1)
- Brenden Bright, Collegeville PA (4) 94
- Trevor Kobylarz, Birdsboro PA (1) 94
- Jason McDougal, Broken Arrow OK (1) 91
- Holly Shelton, Sacramento CA 89 (+1)
- Michael Faccinto, Hanford CA (1) 87 (+2)
- Terry Babb, Decatur IL 84 (-2)
- Matt Sherrell, Owasso OK (3) 77 (-1)
- Cory Elliott, Bakersfield CA 76 (+4)
- Thomas Meseraull, San Jose CA 73 (-1)
- Steven Shebester, Pauls Valley OK (3) 72 (-1)
- Keith Rauch, Denver CO (4) 71 (+4)
- Alex Schutte, Redding CA (4) 69 (+19)
- Brett Arndt, Topton PA (2) 68 (-3)
- Ryan Greth, Shartlesville PA 64 (-3)
- Garrett Aitken, Paris IL 62 (+6)
- Riley Kreisel, Warsaw MO (4) 61
- Frankie Guerrini, San Rafael CA 59 (+6)
- Dave Darland, Lincoln IN 59 (-5)
- Wesley Smith, Nixa MO (4) 58 (-1)
Features Completed: 93
Number of Different Winners: 42
Number of Drivers to Earn Points: 231
A part of the recurring “The Wheatley Chronicles” series of articles on www.sprintcarmania.com, the Open Wheel Power Rankings are determined by cumulative points based on a sliding scale dependent upon car count at Sprint Car and Midget events across all sanctions and non-sanctions throughout North America.
The Wheatley Chronicles brings insight and highlights from all variety of racing series throughout the nation in 2016 and beyond along with the Open Wheel Power Rankings on a regular basis. Please send any comments, questions or advertising inquiries regarding The Wheatley Chronicles at www.sprintcarmania.com to Lonnie Wheatley at firstname.lastname@example.org.