• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mopar92

Mopar92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Looking at this "Kurtis" 4 parallel bar car. Raced up into the 70's supposedly . The serial numbers are too worn to be legible but they "are there". Has Fiberglass body. Does this appear to be a Kurtis and if so, any idea who's livery that is on it? Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Mopar92

Mopar92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

a few more to id this... no old school Kurtis was round tube right? This thing looks better off left alone in many regards.

Attached Files

#3 Mopar92

Mopar92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Nothing?

#4 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Identifying a race car with a long history is frequently a time consuming effort. I have been trying to find out about one of my old midgets for over five years. While you wait for the internet to work its magic you can educate yourself by reading the excellent books available, attending vintage events, reading some of the internet forums, touring museums, and talking to old timers. Expecting instant answers will frustrate you and snarking follow up comments may only irritate the very people you need help from.

There is a ton of info out there on Kurtis and Kurtis type cars. It won't automatically flow to you from a couple Midget Madness posts.

#5 Mopar92

Mopar92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

I guess I was referring to the model of kk midget this is rather than individual car history. Thanks.

#6 Mitch G

Mitch G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Mopar92, I'm no expert, but it looks like a Kurtis to me, now it could be a close copy, or repaired and modified Kurtis. All post war KK's were round (2" dia) tube frames.
The radius rod, or hairpin mounting points, look like Kurtis, as does that small hoop that the fuel tank rests on. Try to get a copy of the 2 books Bill Montgomery published, "Kurtis Kraft Midget, A Genealogy of Speed", and it's companion edition. Also "Kurtis Kraft a master works of speed and beauty" by Gordon Eliot White. I'd say judging from the photo's you posted it's a later 1940's, could be a Johnny Pawl edition after he bought all the Kurtis production stuff in 1952? Again I'm not the expert on those old cars. Here's some photo's from those books, as well as a page from a Denver midget show program, the #82 is a genuine Kurtis, the team car #47 is a copy built by Jerry Malloy of Denver, hard to tell them apart, unless you took all the body panels off and looked real close. Hope this is of some help.

Attached Files

#7 Mopar92

Mopar92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

wow.. thank you for taking time to post a reply... thanks!

#8 Elvis

Elvis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Your lucky... its a KK.....

Check the REAR RADIUS ROD FRONT MOUNT BRACKET.on each side..... where tie rod ATTACHES... should be a SMALL "dot"   right in the CENTER on top of bracket......"centers"  the rear axle...

Every thing I see in the pic tells me its KK... Rare piece....If you got the "dot"  you own a REAL KK...

Everything else is correct... ONLY a jigged KK frame will have this "dot"....

I would tell you where the serial number is.BUT copy cats would know then   :).. and it WILL be there. and ONLY .. IN ONE location...

Frank only marked the frame in ONE SPOT.. no where else....

Owners stamped their "parts' then with the Frame #.. is why some think everything was stamped... not true...

Mike

#9 Elvis

Elvis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

Is this frame/parts  for sale  ??

Mike 740 638 5059

#10 wbjrace

wbjrace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

This looks like a real Kurtis. On picture 3 (rear frame) down on the left side bottom there is a weld called a "Fish-mouth" which was only done by Kurtis, apparently to join two less-expensive shorter tubes. It was done just before the "Kick-up". On the cross bar at the rear of the tank location there may be a number on that. On the last photo lookin past the bottom spoke of the steering wheel there may be a chassis number on the frame (right side). The Kurtis that I had, the number 386 was there. The dash is missing the two holes where the build plate went. Gordon White may have some repro build plates. I have used them.

#11 spanky

spanky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hello. Just posted this on another forum but Am also looking for an identification tag to my fathers Kurtis Kraft midget race car. Can anyone please tell me where to find this id tag #?  On the radius rod dots. Are those painted on dots or indents because they have been painted over?  Im still checking it all over  and We have checked around the dash area and on the chassis. Beginning to believe it is a replica? Thank you in advance for any help to find this illusive id tag?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users