• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Tommy was a tough West Coast driver in the midgets who came East and ran with the Auto Club for many years in the Midwest. I stooged for him quite a bit. Does anyone know of his whereabouts? I always loved his barn red sister to Jimmy Davies "little car". Does anyone know if it still exists.

#2 MidgetFan2

MidgetFan2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Tommy was a tough West Coast driver in the midgets who came East and ran with the Auto Club for many years in the Midwest. I stooged for him quite a bit. Does anyone know of his whereabouts? I always loved his barn red sister to Jimmy Davies "little car". Does anyone know if it still exists.

#3 MidgetFan2

MidgetFan2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

DocF, I am also looking for Tom Sellberg. He and I share something that only a few can claim, (mostly father and son) and that is the name Tom Sellberg. I have pictures of him and I at Joe Shaheens track in Springfield Illinois...naturally he was my favorite driver...imagine sitting in the stands and having them announce your name over the loud speaker....what a thrill. If you have any information or get any information on him and his whereabouts please let me know....

#4 MidgetFan2

MidgetFan2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

Here is the car you were talking about...in the photo are me and my brother and sisters...photo 3 (LtoR)is a photo of Tom and myself and my brother bill...taken june 1965...I was 4 years old at the time...that is bobby grimm's car 33 on the trailer with his...do you know who the driver is that my brother and I are standing with...it is not on the back of the picture I have....

Attached Files

#5 DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

Here is the car you were talking about...in the photo are me and my brother and sisters...photo 3 (LtoR)is a photo of Tom and myself and my brother bill...taken june 1965...I was 4 years old at the time...that is bobby grimm's car 33 on the trailer with his...do you know who the driver is that my brother and I are standing with...it is not on the back of the picture I have....

That is the car, indeed. I remember going to a race with a neighbor, Joe Short, who owned a good Ford V8-60 midget that was usually driven by Tom Hovey. Joe ran outlaw and rarely went to an Auto Club show. He saw Tommy's car and said, "I didn't know Tradin' Walt [Lovett] had an Offy." Walt ran interesting cars, some were fast, but most were interesting. He had one Studebaker that ran with anyone that had torsion bars made from a 1950 Plymouth sway bar. When the heats started and Tom was running with Kenyon, Gary B. and Tattersall, Joe figured out that the ugly car was serious.

I had forgotten that Tom often had his 2 deck trailer behind Coxie Bowman's station wagon. Coxie was one of the greatest car owners I have ever met. He had Bobby Grimm in that car forever.

I can't really identify the driver in the picture in question. I tried enlarging it to the point where I could read the name, but it is too pixelated. It is Johnny or Jimmy someone.

Doc

#6 Mitch G

Mitch G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

Driver in the last photo looks like Jimmy Davies.

#7 DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

I thought that too, but was not sure. First name is most definitely Jimmy or Johnny.

That would make sense as Jimmy and Tommy were very close.

Doc

#8 MidgetFan2

MidgetFan2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

I thought that too, but was not sure. First name is most definitely Jimmy or Johnny.

That would make sense as Jimmy and Tommy were very close.

Doc

That is correct...after further reviewing the photo closer it is indeed Jimmy Davies...Good call guys. I appreciate the help. Tom

#9 Stafford23

Stafford23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Tom Sellberg came east for the first time in the early 60's with a V8-60 powered Kurtis Kraft owned by Californian Dick Hill. They bent the rear axle the first night out in a USAC race at Michigan's Hartford Motor Speedway. We pulled the axle in the driveway of my parent's home and straightened in a huge press at Canonie Construction in South Haven. Tom picked up an Offy ride a few nights later in Ohio and finished out the summer. Hope someone can locate him if he's still with us in this world.

#10 Midget89

Midget89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Located a Thomas Sellberg, age 80, in Lynwood, CA.  Suspect it could be him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users