Photo

Thoughts on a 33" car compared to a 34"...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jdull99

jdull99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

Please share your thoughts on a 33" car compared to a 34". Trying to decide about putting 33" together. Know I can have 34" ready to go for DuQuoin, but be hard to get 33" done in time...Thought 34" was working ok end of last year, even on dry slick - like at Beaver Dam b4 the rain...33" does have provisions to attach even shorter rad. rods to rear-end, we never used b4 tho...just haven't tried Gaerte in that car. Really only have one season on the 34" with Gaerte. Otherwise, just ran the Chevy II/Fontana stuff most of my "career"...

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
jasondull.com (For all the Racing News)

#2 Stealth87

Stealth87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

Please share your thoughts on a 33" car compared to a 34". Trying to decide about putting 33" together. Know I can have 34" ready to go for DuQuoin, but be hard to get 33" done in time...Thought 34" was working ok end of last year, even on dry slick - like at Beaver Dam b4 the rain...33" does have provisions to attach even shorter rad. rods to rear-end, we never used b4 tho...just haven't tried Gaerte in that car. Really only have one season on the 34" with Gaerte. Otherwise, just ran the Chevy II/Fontana stuff most of my "career"...

Anybody.... please correct me if I am wrong. From what I have seen the 34" cars are generally a lot easier to drive as far as stability. You will feel the biggest difference between a 34" and a 33" car in the center of the corner (or apex as you will). I have been told by a lot of top drivers that the 34" widebody stealth is the best midget chassis ever made because the drivability of them is AMAZING! I could be wrong but as far as what I have seen/been told, the 34" is easier to drive. But with Duquoin being a real small bullring the 33" might be more manuverable. Any elses thoughts please?
Real race cars dont have doors

#3 jdull99

jdull99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:24 AM

BTW...both "narrow-body" Stealths. 33" supposed to be '03 and 34" a '99.

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
jasondull.com (For all the Racing News)

#4 rmr6nm

rmr6nm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

I've driven both a 33" and 34" car. The 33" cars were both narrow body Stealths - one a 99, and the other an 05. Have ran 34" beast(26/30 rack), 34" ellis(equal arm car), a 34" TCR, and a 34" Beaberbuilt.
My preference seemed to be the 34" car. Best was the Beast followed by the Ellis. The beast is somewhat of a one off deal originally built for Tony Stewart a few years back.
33" car could be a tad tighter on exit. Not really harder to drive. The Beast seems to like to be driven more like a sprint car than your typical midget. Haven't driven a wide body - but have heard different things about them from other drivers. Some guys have said they don't notice a difference. Some like em. Some after driving them threw the chassis behind the barn and went back to the narrow body. Have heard from some of the guys at stealth who put them together that they had some inherent issues - ?
I think either is capable of winning - obviously. Personally I wouldn't get to carried away and make more work for yourself than necessary.
Just .02 of thoughts.

#5 NZ Midget Ace 17

NZ Midget Ace 17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

Generally a longer car will be more forgiving, stable & driveable. But if you are not somebody who has a ton of seat time & runs 40-50 shows a year you probably won't notice a difference. If you were to spend a lot of time running both cars then you could make a more educated decision between the two. If it were me, 34"

#6 Forever5

Forever5

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

Ask Brandon Waelti. I believe he has driven and won in both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users