11 replies to this topic

#1 larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

I fews weeks ago they were advertising this bird cage for sprints.

Don't think they sell it for the midget, but we had one from TCR, but they don't sell it anymore.

It worked.

http://www.deadonmfg.com/products.html

Larry "O"

#2 wobbler

wobbler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:21 AM

Larry check out Spike Chassis' webpage they sell a near identical birdcage. Also many manufacturers make a midget birdcage that has 2 positions for the clevis. smile.gif

#3 larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:27 AM

Thanks Wobbler,

(1) Are you really from Austrailia? Here's the spike link:

http://spikechassis....amp;cPath=62_91

(2) Are those double row birdcages for asphalt? I have only seen one dirt sprint car with double row
birdcages. And that guy had some other stuff too. It was the Ripper's sprint car. He also had
a spring at the fwd end of the right side RR radius rod. I can see the spring on the radius rod,
but I'm not sure why he had a double row bird cage on the RR. I think he had the double row
birdcages on the LR also.

(3) I like "Zmax" I personally think it works, but now "Zmax" says to use it in Quick change and even
the power steering pumps. I like that...lol! But what lubricant would you suggest for the water
pump? I believe lubrication anywhere means less friction and more HP. And I guess that would
go for grease. In speed roller skates, you never use grease. You use the lighest oil in the bearings.

So, I guess if you want to be anal about it, don't grease bearings, use the best lighest oil and oil
the bearings after hot laps, heat and for the final main event. Then I guess after the race clean
them and reoil them for the next race....lol!

And have fun down and under...lol!

Larry "O" laugh.gif

P.S. In the early 70's I worked at Honda of Monterey Motorcycle shop and there were three
mechanic racers working on the bikes. Two were motocrossers and one was a big oval track
dirt racer. Every week and after every race these guys would completely strip those bike
down. They took the whole bike apart. The thing I remember most vividly is they would pull
the chain and clean it completely and let the chain soak in oil for a whole week before
reinstalling it for the next race. They tore the shocks apart and just did just about everything.
I never see racers stipping their race cars after race. But I know somebody is, but I have
never seen it....lol!

#4 83tech

83tech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

larry a guy from hayward ca. makes the bird cages for spike and they are adjustable
fast is not just a state of mind for bbq help - go to frogmats.com

#5 rmr6nm

rmr6nm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

I may be mistaken, but am pretty sure Bob Harr out of CO has had these for years, and even had a cockpit adj version on his car at the chilibowl at least 5 years ago. Not sure if he was making them in big numbers, but they were a nice set! That guy can come up with all kinds of cool ... stuff. Also makes his own chassis ...

#6 racer35k

racer35k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

rmr6nm, you stole my post! LOL! you are correct. bobby harr has a super neat cockpit adjustable jacobs ladder mount.

#7 mudscrape20

mudscrape20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(racer35k @ Oct 31 2009, 05:35 PM) View Post

rmr6nm, you stole my post! LOL! you are correct. bobby harr has a super neat cockpit adjustable jacobs ladder mount.

I dont suppose anyone has any way of finding some good pictures of this system??? I'm very curious to see how these work!
- Seth Blahnik

#8 Bill Harper

Bill Harper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

Gents - You don't need all that high dollar stuff. Remove your jake ladder and have a fabricator replace the brackets on the outboard end where the bolt for the birdcage connection goes through. The new brackets need to have a hole where the original ones were, with one hole above and one hole below added. You will quickly learn that 95% of the time you will use the original holes and only when the track goes completely dry slick will you change holes. You just have to figure out which direction to go. Seriously. Also if you want one of Bob Harr's adjustable birdcages (they are beautiful) I will send you mine when I get back from Iraq in December. It needs repaired, broke when Russ hit Bob Harr. But it free! Hope you are smiling.
Bill Harper
williamlharper@hotmail.com

#9 larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

Wow, I had a little trouble logging on. Anybody else having problems...lol?

Well, Bill Harper, thankyou very much for your service.

I know the answer for ending war. Just have every young man and woman put in two years of mandatory service after high school.

One of two things will happen. (1) You will get married and you don't have to go in. Not a bad thing....i.e.
getting married for a lot of reasons...lol!

(2) Go to college and then you get differed/you probably won't have to serve. Not a bad thing really?????

(3) You are drafted/serve and you learn you will never go to war again. Not only does service teach a young man or woman about the facts of life, but about the power of living a Godly life, but the sickness of death and sorrow of loosing loved ones. If you make it back alive you will probably most likely love life, do well, work hard and teach those guiding principles to your young loved ones/children and live an endearing life predicated on the principles of freedom and the pursuit of happiness.

Lots of Love,

From Larry "O" tongue.gif

#10 sprintfan360

sprintfan360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(83tech @ Oct 30 2009, 07:07 AM) View Post

larry a guy from hayward ca. makes the bird cages for spike and they are adjustable

we have the bird cages from spike the work very good, we have been running them for about 2 years now.you just losen the lock nut on the hiem or clevis then lower it down up to 1-1/4inches.
the birdcages from dead on look like a nice peice you can raise or lower the jacobs ladder. to raise it would be nice it would help free up a tight car. the flag and rad. rod pickup are replacable and adjustable. we have talked about getting these for our non wing sprint.
haul a$$ or be last.

#11 larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

Somebody talked about how those in car adjustable jacobs ladders work?...lol! And thanks for the replys to this post. It's all good reading and thankyou all.

In Wally's book he shows you his adjustable jacobs ladders. It's basically a screw/bolt to a threaded/nut arrangement on the heim. Screw the heim through a cable in the cockpit makes the heim move up and down.

Ironically when I looked at Wally's system one day, a while back it was disconnected because it was broke.
Whenever you add a system/screw and threaded heim into the system it can get hit and break. That's why most people don't add these complicated systems on their cars. When they break/the car get hits in the wheel, you can damage the system and render them unoperatable.

I have only seen one other system on the sprint cars (410's) non-wing. It is on the left radius rod to move it up and down. I'm sure inside the box that moves the the left radius rod up and down is another threaded bolt system. If not, I'm wrong...lol! But since I don't know how it works, I could imagine a little bit of hydraulics designed in the system to make movement up and down in the system a little easier when you screw the knob inside the cockpit.

I'm sure some people still use the adjustable torsion bar stop and on mini-sprints the adjustable collar on the spring perch to make the front/right sprint harder or softer.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S Some people talked about a slider system in the fuel tank of Wally's Chillibowl winning car. Moving wt left or right. I doubt it, but it's fun to talk about. I just think Walley wanted the wt low and flat to make the car more stable and unchanging as compare to a high tank where as gas is burned you car becomes more
loose as you round the corners/wt transfer. I personally like the slider system in the left bottom rail of the frame. Want to loosen the car keep the bolt tight and the frame won't twist as much. All are great ideas if you car is nominal/set up neutral to begin with. If not you are 'crutching' the system and most good racers/experienced and knowledgable/vetereans don't like jury rig systems.

nominal/not change much

#12 sprintfan360

sprintfan360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(larryo @ Oct 25 2009, 07:49 PM) View Post

I fews weeks ago they were advertising this bird cage for sprints.

Don't think they sell it for the midget, but we had one from TCR, but they don't sell it anymore.

It worked.

http://www.deadonmfg.com/products.html

Larry "O"

in this months sprint midget dead on said that they have a midget set of birdcages coming soon

haul a$$ or be last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users