Photo

Any tips on Identifying 1977 ex-BMARA car?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

I purchased a rolling chassis today with the intention of restoring it for vintage racing. The seller honestly doesn't know much about it except that it is around 1977 vintage and ran Badger & USAC. There is a bit of a faded USAC inspection sticker on the upper left frame rail. The car is complete except motor and has a Jones QC. Are there any tips on identifying the chassis builder?
As you can see from the attached photos it has a red tail tank/bladder with a white number 7 on it. The upper frame rails in the motor compartment can be unbolted as can a section of the lower left frame rail under the rear axle. There are chrome plated rods to cross re-inforce over the motor.
I'd like to "do right" by this "time capsule" so any info would be acknowledged and appreciated.
Chuck Schultz
gearmanx@aol.com

Attached Files

#2 egh170

egh170

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Richie,

Better get that thing out of the garage. It has Hoosiers on it Ha! Ha!

Everett

#3 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:57 AM

Richie was getting it out of his garage and into mine. Still looking for information on its former life and trying to scare up parts for an operable VW motor.
With luck it'll be running this time next year when my involuntary vow of poverty [2 kids in college at once] comes to an end. Is there any interest in a "vintage midget" organization in Northern Illinois/Wisconsin so it doesn't just become a "show car?"
Chuck Schultz
gearmanx@aol.com

#4 ETB

ETB

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

Maybe built by Tom Pogo?

#5 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

I had thought about Tom Pogo too and rumaged thru some photos I took at Sun Prairie back in 1976. Car #49 is the first Outhouse Engineering midget built for Ed Loomis. The cage looks nothing like my car. Also attached is a photo of Tim Pangborn's #2 Edmunds-Sesco (i think it was a 1975 vintage) which matches the rear bumper & rear radius rods of my car. {#88 in foreground is the Kutner Chevy II. Fritz was Dan Boorse's grandfather. John Davis drove the car that year.} Final photo is the Cornel VW, chassis builder unknown, which I think was the first VW to run with Badger. The cage on it looks very similar to my car's but of course it was a coil over front.
I apologize for the poor quality of the scanned photos; they were taken on a 110 Instamatic.
Still looking for help on the car's history & serviceable VW motor or motor parts appropriate for that vintage.
Chuck Schultz
gearmanx@aol.com

#6 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

Sorry, attachments didn't stick. Here they are.
#49 Ed Loomis Chevy II, first Outhouse Engineering (Tom Pogo) midget
#2 Tim Pangborn, 1975 Edmunds-Sesco
#88 John Davis, Fritz Kutner Chevy II
Cornell VW, first VW at SP with Badger?
Sun Prairie 1976[attachmentid=983]

Attached Files

#7 Midget#9

Midget#9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

Do you have any other pictures with John Davis? Or Marty Davis? That was Marty's rookie year. John and Marty are my uncles. I am alway looking for pictures. I don't think that car is a Pogo. Contact Marty Davis. He would be your best bet. Below Is a picture (well not a photo) lets call it a drawing of Marty Davis driving Mark Patzke's car. Looks like your car.

Jason

Attached Files

Click here to visit us on Facebook

#8 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

I think you are right about the car. The hood is a match as is the front torsion bar location & cage. Unfortunately I have very few photos & for some reason can't get the attachment to work tonight. I knew John only slightly when he had the #50 roadster and then when he drove for Fritz. I believe John & Fritz came to my house and helped remove the cam from the wrecked #11 to replace the one they were using which lost a lobe. I probably met Marty back in the day but was pretty tied up trying to keep parts from falling off our old car.
If Marty can help fill in the history of my project car I'll drive up to Racine sometime when it is convenient.
I wish I'd have taken more photos back then, even if they were on a toy camera,
Thanks a bunch for the info!
Chuck Schultz
gearmanx@aol.com

#9 Midget#9

Midget#9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

Ah the good old days. To bad I was born so late.

Attached Files

• Attached File  50.jpg   321.56K   5 downloads

Click here to visit us on Facebook

#10 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the identification Jason. The artist's rendering is especially important to me as it was the cover of the first midget race that my brother and I took our sons to. My late nephew Adam Schultz left the Mecca convention center with a life long love of racing. My son left with red eyes from the methanol fumes and hasn't gone back to the track since.
This project has already given me lots of enjoyment and I haven't even started to restore it yet. I wanted to get a positive ID before taking it apart.
I'm already looking forward to showing and running the car. Unfortunately there aren't any vintage clubs in this area. The Milwaukee Vintage Modified Club has extended an invitation to attend their outings and the IRS is thinking about offering an occasional bit of track time.
Any interest in forming a vintage club for Wisconsin and Northern Illinois?
Chuck Schultz

#11 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

Unfortunately, the "positive id" on my project car has proven to be wrong. Apparently that car was severely wrecked at some point and rebuilt with a taller cage, different front section, and 3 point nerf bars. I'm back to square one but sure enjoyed chatting with everyone over the past few weeks.
Someone once said "car collecting is an expensive way to meet the neatest people." It is just as true of old race cars.
Chuck Schultz

#12 Hooligan29

Hooligan29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Possible Pogo information at http://www.vintagega...com/midget.html
"It's NeverToo Late To Have A Happy Childhood"

#13 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the response, Hooligan!
I've been to the site you mrntioned several times and chased down the Pogo lead shortly after I got the car. The Pogo on the website was not typical of his chassis, having been built to the customer's specs. Being a Wisconsin native I'd have been thrilled if it turned out to be an Outhouse Engineering car. For now I'm calling it a Mongrel-VW, as it seems to have been repaired & updated several times by different people. A "mixed breed" midget that was raced hard & put away wet will be just as much fun for me as a famous, name brand car. In 1982 I'd never have had the cash for an Edmunds-VW anyway.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois

Real race cars don't have titanium or carbon fiber!

#14 Ang

Ang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

I have a poster that is available on E-bay under "midget". The poster is an Anatomy of A Midget, it's a '80 '81 edmunds . The rear of the roll cage matches yours, as does the rear radius rods and the steering mounting. The front shock mount appears similar. It doesn't have the cross bracing over the engine. I have the Fiscus/Boorse car from their first two Badger championships. The chassis is a Stanton and has the cross bracing but the cage configuration is different. As with any race car components are added ,changed or removed through time. Good Luck with the project. LeRoy Waelti

#15 zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

[attachmentid=1945] [attachmentid=1945][attachmentid=1946]
I'm posting some photos of my car in action at Sun Prairie on August 5th of this year. Special thanks to Eddie Sauer, Glenn Ohlendorf, Mark Morey, and Gregg Kishline for their help and guidance in getting the old dog back to the track. It has come a long way from the first photos in this thread and it wouldn't have been possible without you guys.
After a while I gave up trying to get an identification and history on the car. I call it The Mongrel because its origin is unknown and it has parts from about 5 different cars on it. If you recognize it, however, I'd enjoy hearing about via e-mail or PM.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois
gearmanx@aol.com

PS: My second project car, in contrast, has a very clear provenance. It was sold by Edmunds Autoresearch on September 18, 1980 to the Weeds of Long Island NY and raced in NEMA and ARDC. I got it just as it was hanging in the Weed garage since 1983. Any "action" photos of the Weed #3 from those days would be greatly appreciated.[attachmentid=1947]

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users