Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

what year might this car be

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Dadsmidget

Dadsmidget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My dad passed away and left me this car. Is it a Midget or Sprint. The pictures really don't show the rear sheet metal its flat on top and the sides are straight like a boat tail, there is no ripple at the top like in later models.
I need to know what era its from and how much it might be worth as I plan to sell it. He aquired it about 45-50 years ago and along with it were v-8 60s and related performance parts although ive been told the v8 60 wasn't correct for this car, I have blocks, Heads, Mag., intake, strombergs and one full engine with oil pan,heads,mounts, intake

Attached Files

zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Definitely pre-WWII. That looks like a Ford Model T rear axle. There were several popular sets of midget plans used in the early days. You should be able to find them on the Internet & see if your car matches any. V8-60s weren't used until after1938 so I doubt your car had one when first built.

Speedway sells copiesof Jack Fox's excellent Mighty Midgets book; you might compare the car to photos in it.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
I have no idea, but I did try to research it a little bit.

It seems this car might be called a sprint car and not a midget, but in the old days they said they were not called sprint cars but "track" cars. That is my 5 minute research project on google for your photo......lol!

I'm guessing this car was originally a 30's car modfified in the 40's. Because I found a link that talked about a car that had four longitudinal springs in which this car has two in the front. Quite unusal, but I have no idea when this car was made. I'm just amazed at the car. It's fascinating. And I like talking on the internet...lol!

Here's a link where I found a little data on 30's - 40's car with four longitudinal leaf springs.

My link

http://www.oldracing.../1946-ted-horn/

I thought old model T cars had traverse springs front and rear. My 1923 T Bucket has traverse springs front and rear. This car only has longitudinal springs in the front?????? Will somebody explain that to me?

This car probably was a purpose built race car and frame . I don't think it came off a ordinary car off the assembly line.

In fact, the schoeder like steering box I don't think came in a passenger car off an assembly line. Just a guess.
I'm probably wrong again.

As for the value, I would guess it's worth anywhere from 1200 to 2500 dollars to the right person. To anybody else I don't think it is worth much. That is just my pie in the sky wild guess. Good luck and thanks for sharing it.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani....I know nothing!

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
What you miss when you are away.

Here are some clues, which may or may not be helpful. The heart shaped grill opening was used by Curly Wetteroth on a lot of Southern California cars in the 30s. The steering gear appears to be a Franklin, which is the basis of the side steer gears used today. They came from the air-cooled Franklin passenger cars. I will study the photos and see what else I can see.

Doc

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
And further information. This car is a very early midget. It is not a sprint car nor a big car. It was professionally built. I would say it was built in Southern California as it looks too slick to be a Midwest or Eastern build. If it is as old as it appears, an inline four such as a Willys or a Van Blerck marine four would be appropriate, although putting a Ford tractor engine in it would be period correct and much easier to run.

Bring it to a professional race car restorer. This may well be worth the many thousands of dollars it will cost to restore.

Doc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users