Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Magnetos and mechanical F.I. info

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Bob Cowgill

Bob Cowgill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
With my baptism into vintage midget racing looming, I am seeking a source, whether it be printed matter, websites, or whatever of good, authoritative info on the care and feeding of magneto ignitions and mechanical fuel injection systems.
Yes, I am aware that both of these devices have been around a long time, and there are many folks who can troubleshoot them in the dark,with no tools or measuring instruments, yadda, yadda, yadda.
The problem is, at least in my neck of the woods, these folks either aren't known, or they aren't that eager to share the wisdom of the ages with newbies.
This is evidenced at just about any event I've been to. You get X number of cars trailered in, and maybe up to 50% of them can't even complete the first practice session, many for issues with one or the other of these systems.
In talking to folks, and sometimes just listening quietly as those with problems attempt to diagnose their ills, it becomes apparent that the knowledge pool is FAR too shallow and narrow when it comes to mags and mechanical F.I.
So, since I do NOT want to spend my entire track session in the pits blindly fumbling on my ill-performing car, can someone who knows PLEASE point me in the direction of this info?
The upside of this is one less guy asking "dumb" questions of you while you are trying to relax between heats.
Who knows? I might even learn enough to be able to help someone else!
What a concept!
Bob

Loran1744

Loran1744

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Bob
I know of two manuals that may be of help to you. Vertex published a "Vertex Magneto Service Manual" many years ago. I have a copy. It contains a lot of good information. It is available from Speedway Motors. www.speedwaymotors.com
Kinsler fuel injection also published a very informative service manual which I have as well. I don't where to find it, but I'm sure if you contacted them, they could help you. Both of these books have answered many questions for me over the years.
Loran Critchett Jr

Bob Cowgill

Bob Cowgill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Loran,
Sorry for the delay in replying.
I found the online Kinsler info, and it is VERY helpful!
I'll check with Speedway Motors on the mag stuff.
I'm still stuck over here in Spain until we can get STS-134 off the pad.
As of this morning, they tell us that the earliest date is 08 May, with 10 May the more likely.
Thanks for the good leads!
Bob

Bob
I know of two manuals that may be of help to you. Vertex published a "Vertex Magneto Service Manual" many years ago. I have a copy. It contains a lot of good information. It is available from Speedway Motors. www.speedwaymotors.com
Kinsler fuel injection also published a very informative service manual which I have as well. I don't where to find it, but I'm sure if you contacted them, they could help you. Both of these books have answered many questions for me over the years.
Loran Critchett Jr

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
I found this artice on mechanical fuel injection in "Hot Rod Magazine". The issue is October 2010. It starts on page 106.

Hope you can get a copy and good luck with the vintage midget. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Larry "O"

P.S. Good luck on STS 134. I have watched many launches and pesonally personally feel the Titan IV Rocket is much more spectacular, but shaking the astronaunts' hands before they board the orbiter is a memory I will never forget.

Sincerely,

Larry "O"...."Space" has always been my life, but racing is a lot of fun also...lol!

Bob Cowgill

Bob Cowgill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, Larry!
I'll see if I can order that back issue.
As of the NASA management team meeting yesterday, they have firmed up Monday, 16 May as the next launch attempt date.
I say ATTEMPT, because the weather or some other technical issue can always cause further delay.
I agree on the Titan launches being spectacular, especially when they are night launches.
I once did a skydive at Dunn Airport in Titusville during a night liftoff of a Titan.
Patrick AFB was broadcasting the launch countdown, and our jump pilot was circling so we could see the pad.
We climbed out on the wheel when the main engines lit, and jumped as the boosters kicked in.
We took a 4 man round free fall formation off the plane with a camera man as one jumper. We turned the round so that he got a shot looking across the formation of the Titan going up as we were going down. Pretty cool!
Of course, the exit spot was a little off due to us concentrating on the Titan, and I landed across the airport next to a tree by the tennis courts.
I still recall my instructor teaching me about night jumps. He said to carry a flashlight to shine down when you are approaching the landing. If you don't like what you see, turn the light off! :-)

Bob

I found this artice on mechanical fuel injection in "Hot Rod Magazine". The issue is October 2010. It starts on page 106.

Hope you can get a copy and good luck with the vintage midget. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Larry "O"

P.S. Good luck on STS 134. I have watched many launches and pesonally personally feel the Titan IV Rocket is much more spectacular, but shaking the astronaunts' hands before they board the orbiter is a memory I will never forget.

Sincerely,

Larry "O"...."Space" has always been my life, but racing is a lot of fun also...lol!

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
Dear Bob,

Hope you get your midget running. In California they ran some vintage midgets, T-roadsters and sprint cars. I do have to admit I didn't watch them as much as I should of, but they definately caught my attention, since I own a 1923 T Bucket Roadster for the street. That is a thrill!!!!

I know you want to get out and drive your midget. So hopefully you get your car running and go have some fun.

I finally got to drive my sprint car the other night, but I had a little accident...lol! No brakes, but at least I didn't kill anybody...lol!

Hopefully I will get to run it again pretty soon...God Willing...lol!.

I was trying so hard to get away from racing and one time in the Sprint Car and it's like a disease or drug....you want more. The one thing I thought when I got into the sprint car is that you would have to be a complete idiot to drive one of these things. They are so dangerous, but thrilling...dangerous and for what???? But I want to drive it again.

Good luck and God Bless...

Larry "O"

P.S. I can invision going to launch again, but I really don't want to go to Russia and and Sea Launch...well, I rather stay at home...lol! Let the young whipper..snappers have all the fun!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users