Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Pepsi Nationals......or Whatever You Want To Call

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

PARKS

PARKS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
I talked to the "aged" Dan Boorse and his equally "aged" crew chief Troy Richards Sunday night after finishing 2nd in the Badger Points battle. Both appeared to be taking nurishment and looked very capable of opening the next can of Whoop-###### whenever that occasion might arise.

The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
I would pit any of the badger drivers against any other club. They have proven over and over that they can compete anywhere with anyone for the last 25 years that I have been invovled in midgets. Just look at the driver of the year competitors for the last 3 years. Badger has had at least 4 drivers in the hunt and even a badger driver won the dirver of the year award.

Another example is look at all of the so called big races.....have any badger drivers won? ###### yes. Have they been competitive in others when they did not win? yes.

So before you start trying to degrade the badger drivers you should pay attention to all of the shows.

The Bear

midgetsondirt

midgetsondirt

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
Is there a chance that the Chili Bowl is slightly reminiscent of APS? Both small both tight racing. Get them onto some big tracks that you need some long legs, get them on a track where they don't have a set up book that dates back to the dark ages and see who does what. As far as Fike being considered a BMARA driver. It's odd but when they introduced him at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Infiniti Pro event, they mentioned that fact that he was a former USAC rookie of the year with NARRY a mention of his (at the time) current BMARA Championship. Hmmmmm...........

UltraFast

UltraFast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I tend to believe that the past 2 drivers to win The BIG midget race on the half mileat Knoxville were BMARA regulars at the time. And how many USAC drivers showed up?

Also Hines is a USAC Regular, he is driving for WILKE-PAK racing. Enough said. They have the oldest set-up book around for Sun Prairie.

And exactly how far does the 9 cars set-up book go back for all the USAC tracks that they race on every year.

Davey Ray finished second for ROY in USAC to Bobby East. Davey only ran 7 races with them.............. So obviously it doesn't take much to accomplish that.

Didn't Scott Hatton run fourth, and Davey run 6th at Belleville last year? Remind me if you need "legs" to run that "small tight race track.

And don't worry this argument will be settled next year. At a USAC race.........that is if they don't back out of sanctioning another race.

You can say what you want to say, the BMARA drivers can hold thier own with anybody anywhere.
Like always, it's been a pleasure doing business with you.

midgetsondirt

midgetsondirt

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
You must have misunderstood me or I led you to think otherwise...but I never meant to imply that the Badger drivers couldn't hold their own! On the contrary they are quite good. My point was they are good on their one track. Angel Park. When you hear badger do you think Hales Corner, Pecatonica or Beaver Dam? Nope y'all think like I do....Angel Park. Take them away from that one place especially to bigger tracks and the cream of the traveling series will usually rise to the top.

4th and 6th at Belleville last year to who? The Travelers from USAC!

Wilke does have an old book but Tracy can................ohhh just forget the rest of that comment.

ROY comment...you still don't get my point. Regardless of how hard it is to earn the title of USAC ROY, it still had more weight than that of the title BMARA Champ. If it was visa versa then they would have introduced him as such. Maybe I am wrong, I dunno.

I also disagree about "it will be settled next year." As long as Badger has the quality drivers that they do and as long as USAC has the quality drivers like they do, devoted fans to each of the sanctioning bodies will never agree and that is fine. That is why message boards like this one has plenty of business. The bottom line is we are all lucky to have good talent at the track everytime we go.

The General

The General

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Who cares which club's drivers are the best and which club so-and-so belongs to. If they race a USAC race then that night they're a USAC driver. If the next night it's a BADGER race then they're a BADGER driver and so on with MARA, NAMARAS, etc. Just as long as they race that's what matters.

Is it foolishness like this that has lead to small car counts? Some may say it's the economy, but when 5 clubs all race on the same day (August 23rd for example) to me it's not the economy it's a scheduling problem.

On August 23rd USAC had 16 cars at Nazareth, PA, MARA had 17 cars at Farmington, MO, BADGER had 35 cars at Beaver Dam, WI and a combined NAMARS/UMARA show at Grundy County, IL had 25 cars. These are all midwest based clubs and among them they had 91 cars running the same day. Who loses out on scheduling like this? The fan! Why can't these clubs get together and put on bigger shows. Who wants to travel and spend money to watch 16 or 17 cars?

For the betterment of midget racing we need to stop this us vs. them attitude at the fan level and at the driver, owner and club level.

racr71

racr71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Man you guys sure get set off easily. I never said the boys up there couldn't race. I know it's quite the opposite. There's so many comments to respond to I don't even know what to say. Let's start with racegurl; I was at Beaver Dam with Droud who happened to run second and almost had Davey hand him the win. I know Davey doesn't try to lose races, he just has a tendancy to make a mistake at a very bad time in a race. While speaking of Droud he's been the fastest cat at Knoxville the past two years, and would have won this year if our battery would have lived another lap and a half. Which also proves the point of if you have laps at a place that others don't you obviously have a huge advantage and should be faster!

I got to agree with the general all the schedule conflicts kill car counts. And the worst about it is USAC. If they see another sanctionioning body put a strong show together they schedule against it i.e. Knoxville (that's why you haven't had the USAC drivers there). I'd like to see for one race on like a 1/3 mile all the bodies co-sanction a race for points in each organization to get the cars there. And have a battle for a title like King-of the-Midwest and for a winners check of say $25,000! Now that's the way I'd like to see this debate have one side's point made, because right now we can all go back and forth but nobody is right or wrong it's all personal opinion and bias!

spridge31

spridge31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
I love the Badger guys, and Scott Hatton is quite possibly my favorite driver. I follow mainly USAC races around the Midwest, though. I think, on a given day, that the Badger guys are right there with the TOP USAC guys on a dirt track. Remember, last year, Mike Hess won the Hut Hundred and Critter Malone won Joliet. Upsets can happen, and I hope there's one Friday night at Joliet again!

BTW, in 2001, I think it was, we ventured to Angell Park for the Showdown at the Prairie. Dave Darland came from 10th to win the midget race that day driving for Steve Lewis. If you ask me, Darland is the best midget driver there is! That being said, he can be knocked off! Nick Lundgreen gave Darland all he could handle a couple times during the Buckeye Nationals. Brandon Waelti also looked good. Boorse looked terrible! Three short tracks, and Darland came out on top each time.

This will be great for the USAC race next year......I don't think JJ will be around, so who will be in the 9 cars?? I think Darland, Drake and Hines have to be the top three for USAC.......Can they go in and win against the Badger boys?? Spridge

a1wifan

a1wifan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Spridge,
Dont forget to include Scott Hatton as a hut hundred Winner a couple of years ago.

Guest_Badgerfan_*

Guest_Badgerfan_*
  • Guests
I admit to being a rabid Badger fan but as for the claim they don't show well on longer tracks how do these ideas fit? It seems to me that the USAC fellows have more money behind them in general and most Badger fellows are always facing budget problems. I have heard a few remark about being hesitant to run at least in this years rescheduled HUT because of the toll it can take on motors and equipment. Most, if not all the Badger fellows have chosen to remain with full time jobs unlike many of the USAC full time drivers. Some turn pro and I think we will see much more of the Fikes and possibly Davey Ray on the national scene. But I always wonder where Danny Boorse or Scott Hatton would be today had they went full time racing 10 years ago.
Whether they primarily run Angell Park or not I still maintain any of the competitive Badger fellows can more than hold their own against anyone, anywhere. I also agree that the Yeley's and Darland's that we get to see at APS now and again are tremendous talents.
I guess thats what makes racin'! Lookin foward to Joliet!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users