Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What do these drivers have in common?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

IlliniNews

IlliniNews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
What do these drivers have in common?
Billy Wood
Gene "Pedro" Roehl
Billy Engelhart
Kevin Olson
Dave Wunrow
Les Scott
Dean Billings
Jimmy Davies
Marty Davis
Allen Heath
Mike Nazaruk
Jigger Sirois
A.J Foyt
Tom Steiner
Dick Rathman
Jim Hurtubise
Parnelli Jones
Rich Vogler
all the Bettenhausens - Tony, Gary, and Merle

Top Row Jim

Top Row Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
Since nobody is guessing yet, let me start with a wild guess.. Without looking in any record books, I will guess they all ran midgets, sprints, and silver crown cars without cages. Jim
Midget racing is big time entertainment.

IlliniNews

IlliniNews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Some were too young to have driven uncaged cars. Try again.

IlliniNews

IlliniNews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Attached File  82_ES_Milw1.pdf   1.23MB   52 downloads
Looks like you guys need a photo clue. Eddie Sachs at Milwaukee 1960?

IlliniNews

IlliniNews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Answer: They all drove for Hall of Fame member Harry Turner.

The list was excerpted from this short bio of Harry written by his friend, protege, & "stooge" Gregg Kishline:
HARRY TURNER

Harry Turner's racing career lasted 50 years. He began at State Fair Park in 1938, driving a midget built from Model T Ford parts. Harry lived in both Kenosha and Chicago, where he devoted his life to midget racing.

Harry was a master craftsman who built and drove both midgets and sprint cars. As an owner, a builder, or a driver, he raced every year until he died in 1988. He constructed more than 30 race race cars in his lifetime. Harry drove competitively in the midwest well into the 1960's, and he notched more than 100 feature wins.

Harry also competed at the Indianapolis '500' in the 1950's and 60's as a builder, as a car owner, and an advisor to his good friend Tony Bettenhausen.

He built champ cars and sprintcars, but his love was midgets - he always owned one or more. Having built or modified cars for customers prior to WWII, Harry built a midget for himself in 1947 powered by a brand new Offy engine - serial # 282 - purchased from Bob Wilke. 'Eighty-two' became the car number for all the
Turner-owned cars that followed.

For six decades throughout the midwest, Harry competed in USAC, Badger, and AAA providing winning midget rides for a Who's-who of open wheel racing:

> Billy Wood > Gene "Pedro" Roehl
> Billy Engelhart > Kevin Olson
> Dave Wunrow > Les Scott
> Dean Billings > Jimmy Davies
> Marty Davis > Allen Heath
> Mike Nazaruk > Jigger Sirois
> A.J Foyt > Tom Steiner
> Dick Rathman > Jim Hurtubise
> Parnelli Jones
> all the Bettenhausens - Tony, Gary, and Merle
... and many others

Despite crippling injuries he suffered in 1973 at a track in Kankakee, Harry continued working from his wheelchair, building several more cars for customers and for himself, until his death in 1988. He won two NAMAR national championships as an owner, and one in the New Zealand winter series. He was inducted into the Midget Hall of Fame in Sun Prairie, in 2005.
Harry Turner was a lifelong supporter of Badger Midgets and one of the toughest competitors in open-wheel racing. Harry was a master craftsman, strong-willed,and yet he was generous with his fellow competitors. He was an enthusiastic bench racer, always eager to swap jokes and racing stories, drawing on a lifetime in racing. Harry was unique - always speaking his mind and a formidable competitor
at the track.

The Illini Racing Series is proud to present the Harry Turner Cup to the winner of their feature race this Saturday at Wilmot Speedway.

John P Huss

John P Huss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1402 posts
Dean Billings took me to Harry's shop about 1984 and I have to say what treat
that was. I met the legend in person. Thanks again Dean.
Best Regards,
John :)

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
I must ask. Which Tony Bettenhausen? Senior or Junior? I know Tony Sr. usually was found in one of Ashley Wright's cars, but often drove others too. The first time I ever saw him, he was driving Mel Owen's #33 out of Detroit. I know that was a pickup ride as Mel never ran regularly with anyone.

Doc

zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Tony Senior. I'm not sure about Tony Junior driving midgets. I will check with Lance Turner & Gregg Kishline to make sure. Gary & Merle both drove Turner midgets.

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Tony Senior. I'm not sure about Tony Junior driving midgets. I will check with Lance Turner & Gregg Kishline to make sure. Gary & Merle both drove Turner midgets.

That is what I thought. I sort of think that Junior never drove midgets, but he might have run them for a short while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users