Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Drivers hurt in non-racing incidents

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Top Row Jim

Top Row Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
Recently after leading an RMMRA feature and almost pulling off his first win, Brian Postel broke his collar bone on his property driving a quad. This reminded me of a few other instances where drivers were injured doing regular things in life. Dave Strickland Jr. was on a ladder painting at his home when a yellow jacket buzzed him and he fell and hurt himself. Many years ago Gary Staggers (RMMRA) was waiting for a bus in downtown Denver and something ( a mudflap I think ) was propelled into the air and hit him in the eye. Can you add some stories to the mayhem that seems to be more unsafe than racing on the track? Jim
Midget racing is big time entertainment.

racer35k

racer35k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
kenny schrader got most of his thumb cut off when he got it stuck in a alternator pulley/belt.

mickey12

mickey12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
I believe that Kid Strickland also got hurt racing at a go kart track here in Englewood Colorado one year... Flipped it.

I know my dad (not a midget racer) injured his knee riding motorcycles... Cut the cast off after a week to get back to racing Late Models and Figure 8s...
24 Fan

AJCRACER

AJCRACER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
Tracy Hines on a motorcycle or quad at home broken pelvis or leg

Johnnie Crawford broken leg after a quad accident

Baue

Baue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
Sam Sessions:(Died) Snow mobile.
Danny Pollack:(Paralyzed/Still Races) Quad(Anyone see a trend)
Shannon Finley:(Broke Leg/Lost Leg) Ship(If I remember right)
Bill Baue:(Broke Ankle/Recovered)Coal Mine(Ran IRP and Hut 100/Missed Show w/Cast on)

Many others, just can't think right now.

jdull99

jdull99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
Stories I have heard about KO:

Helping stalled motorist on side of road. Drunk driver hit them and put KO out of commision for a while.

Used a flamable substance to start/increase fire strength in shop stove...you can imagine the rest.

Maybe there could be a whole thread on him? Not sure of others, but can only imagine.

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
jasondull.com (For all the Racing News)

55FAN

55FAN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Mike Woodruff: Bonfire and racing fuel.

Stealth87

Stealth87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
Cody Weisensel - auto accident
Stan fox - Killed in Auto Accident
Real race cars dont have doors

zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Mike Mosely -road accident
Crashed hard at Indy in 1972 & other places
Won an Indy car race from last starting position for Leader Card team
Qualified Eagle-Chevy on front row

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois

Top Row Jim

Top Row Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
Unfortunately just this past week we had a freak accident here in the Denver Colorado area. Richard Burton who has driven stock cars and race trucks at Colorado National Speedway for over a decade was struck by lighting. There was an accident close by his house and he got on his bicycle to go see what was happening. He was struck by lightning while on the bike and has been placed into an induced coma so they can cool his inner organs down and then slowly wake him up. Jim

John P Huss

John P Huss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1402 posts
Jim- My best to the Burton family in this difficult time. Get well soon Rich!
Best Regards,
John

Top Row Jim

Top Row Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
According to www.bigwestracing.com Richard Burton, the driver struck by lightning spoke for the first time today. "I'm thirsty" he said. Good news, but they say he has a long road ahead of him. Jim

mdgtfan4

mdgtfan4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
nhra pro stock bike rider john myers was killed on his harley while trying to avoid hitting a raccoon in '97.

denny hamlin torn acl playing basketball

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Sam Sessions:(Died) Snow mobile.
Danny Pollack:(Paralyzed/Still Races) Quad(Anyone see a trend)
Shannon Finley:(Broke Leg/Lost Leg) Ship(If I remember right)
Bill Baue:(Broke Ankle/Recovered)Coal Mine(Ran IRP and Hut 100/Missed Show w/Cast on)

Many others, just can't think right now.

Sammy Sessions was racing the snowmobile, so to my way of thinking, that doesn't count. We West Michigan fans always thought he had a heart attack.

Ssmiley

Ssmiley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Tom Steiner badly injured many years back, car accident (NOT RACING car), Tom was UARA, USAC, Maybe. Badger. And he
was a driver on a very limited budget, Bob Blume from Indiana. He owned and drove for a bit, UARA. Killed in a highway accident along with his wife Judy. Both school teachers, I Think. Bob was a teacher for sure, super nice young folks, and they always were accompanied at the track by her brother who helped Bob with the car. Very Sad.

'john Ward
Bourbonnais, IL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users