Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Driver At Grundy County Speedway

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

donsrsbabygirl

donsrsbabygirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok as of last year it was AARON not sr (number 91) , was racing! lol. and as for thompson dunno about him! (keepin my nouth shut!) lookin forward to this year! but don jr wont be there! sad.gif but jimmy anderson already has my heart. is gene lee gibson runnin this year?

*HOLLYWOOD*

*HOLLYWOOD*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yea I heard that Wills has a national car hope he run good he is a good kid just a little crazy. National class should be intresting Wills,Wilda,Thinnis in a new car and Thompson gone. I woundering how is going to be the hot shoe this year.

usac midget

usac midget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
Darn.. No Thompson?? I am going to miss the outrageous antics of the HO-TRAIN!! I'd bet he wouldn't be able to stay away very long as it might get a little boring having the HEAD of the HO-TRAIN greasing up his balls in the tour.

See ya in a few days DT and Heidi-HO.

I do have to agree that he runs the outside well, but I do know a certain 76" wheelbase car that motors around the outside pretty well also.

As for the greatest at Grundy... I have been around many years and have had the chance to watch many great drivers.

Danny Pens: Had the luxury of $$$ behind him. Money can't buy talent, but Danny was a very smooth driver. Could be considered one of the best.

Gene Lee Gibson: Won many races at Grundy County, for one reason or another he always seemed to be a little more dominant on the big money nights

Don Carter: I once heard an interview with him and a newspaper reporter prior to his third Illinois State Championship race, he gauranteed a victory that night. Very smooth getting back to the gas once the car took a set. Could very well be one of the best.

Jim McClean: Used to be the guy everyone hated to see pull into the pit area. Especially when he drove for Bob Steffes in the #96 VW.

All of these and many more could be considered the best "at Grundy County" In my opinion some of the guys who have won races at Grundy and been pretty dominant have done it on cubic dollars. These guys of the 80's and early 90's did it on shear determination that they were the best of the best. Those days are gone and here we are on the Internet talking about them, for some of us, those were the best days of our lives.

inthewall

inthewall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
That 76" wheelbase car must be Felker, #37 that was illegal last year when running at Grundy. That's the only reason why he tooled around the track on the outside so easily.............

X - Racer

X - Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm an X-Racer from back in the W.O.O.M days! I have to say that the best driver in the midwest was none - other then "The Great Dennis Deva" . He man handeled that V4 pile all over Grundy and variuos other tracks. In my books is was great watching him run; and he was always fan friendly. These pople today like teh 24 Thompson and Corson's are not Fan freindly in my opinion and to top it off the class of people they ring to the track ( Thomposn) are better dressed for a Strip Club then to attned a racing event. Just my $.02

In the 2000's I have to say Thinese is a good overall racer. He;s a 3 time champion and very fan friendly;

Again just my $.2 cents

Thanks

Stefano DiMera

Stefano DiMera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
No, usac midget is referring to himself, the 36 car…and 76 inches is legal. Guess Jimmy figured a way to make a big track car work at a small joint…that’s very impressive.

Also, Devea was a sight at Grundy, nobody drove in harder than him and Carter in the early 90’s. Today that technique doesn’t really work, momentum required.

X - Racer

X - Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Stefano - is Usac Midget - Jimmy anderson ( Blue and white 36 ) - He was awesome last yr. just a lot of bad luck . I wish that boy had some money behind him. Hes a good clean racer.

I have to disagrre w/ that one person that said " Don Carter Jr taought little Jimmy everything he knows "

If that was the case Jimmy would be racing Grundy like a "Diamond" instead of an "Oval"... Good OL Don Jr. never figured out that once everyone has the same HP as you then you need to learn how to make a car fast in the corners.

I think we need a retirement race @ grundy... Carter / Pens / Mahoney / Bruce Fields/ maybe I can come out of retirement and race. cool.gif

NONFENDER

NONFENDER

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thompson might have won the championship last year if they worried more about racing than what strip club they were going to after the race

I think TJ will shape up that group and put them over the top! The last thing TJ is concerned about is women at the track. The only tail he was after was Thompsons tail tank the past 5 years

Stefano DiMera

Stefano DiMera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
QUOTE (X - Racer @ Mar 12 2004, 12:30 PM)
Stefano - is Usac Midget - Jimmy anderson ( Blue and white 36 ) - He was awesome last yr. just a lot of bad luck . I wish that boy had some money behind him. Hes a good clean racer.

I have to disagrre w/ that one person that said " Don Carter Jr taought little Jimmy everything he knows "

If that was the case Jimmy would be racing Grundy like a "Diamond" instead of an "Oval"... Good OL Don Jr. never figured out that once everyone has the same HP as you then you need to learn how to make a car fast in the corners.

Yes, it’s Jimmy. He posted some things a couple of months ago in the tech section here that made it obvious it was him. Apparently his DNFs this year stemmed from ignition problems, or so I hear.

Carter never had any horsepower advantage, at least when he ran for Anderson. That old and beat-up chassis he ran just seemed to get a great bite coming off. Perhaps he also ran a wide cam in conjunction w/ soft rear springs. Only him and Devea (in that V4 car) were able to pull their front tires off the ground.

heidi24

heidi24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hmmm.... not fan friendly...... we are fan friendly, maybe not pit friendly. That comes with putting up with people's comments and garbage that comes out of their mouths. As for how the HO-train dresses, I am a mother of 4, wife, student and I work part time. Saturday nights are my nights out. If you dont like how I dress...............DONT ******* LOOK!!! mad.gif

Usac midget: we arent going this year, so have a good time and good luck!!

usac midget

usac midget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
Yes, we have had alot alot of bad luck the past few years. I say bad LUCK because we prepare the car the best we can and something always seem to fail. If we just half assed everything then I could see it being our own lack of preparation.

We are going to fire the car tomorrow, new ignition and all.

Phoenix bound, but we will be looking forward to getting back to good ol' Grundy County.

Stefano, I would like to argue one point you made in your last post. I would have to say that the years 1992 thru 1995, we were probably in the top 3 cars when speaking about horsepower. Danny Pens in the #1 Beast /Pontiac and Dennis Devea in the #5 V4 would probably be the other two. In '94 our pontiac dynoed at 320hp. Not bad from a motor that my dad and his buddy developed. Ours was a Arias block that was plugged and redrilled to fit the Pontiac 433 then the 801 cylinder head. The Rock Run chassis was definately one of a kind, but if anyone remembers, I took care of that my first nigth in it at Grundy(turn3-4 and the scoreboard) Ha Ha Ha..

nascarfan

nascarfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I think that the Corson Family is one of the most fan friendly at the track!!Rich is ALWAYS willling to talk to anybody and helps EVERYONE who needs help!!

They also put on one of the best shows I have been to. My family and I were there the night of the Bob Corson memeorial and the gave alot to the fans and especially the kids!! It is sad that one family can do this for one night, instead of a club that has been around forver doing something like this all year!!I hope he can continue his winning ways and win the championship this year!

homedepot

homedepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hello everyone!! I've been reading these posts about Who is the best Grundy Driver?

I guess you can say I had the BEST SEAT in the house when it came to that!!

The Drivers who I would say stood out as the BEST would be as follows:

Jim McClean, Don Carter, Jr., Danny Pens, Dennis DeVea,
David Thompson, Mack McCellan, Dwayne Pearson, Steve Thinnes, The late Bob Meyers, Susan Spencer, Jim Mahoney, Gene Lee Gibson, Jim "The Flea " Hettinger, the late Kenny Irwin Jr., Ryan Newman, the late Perry Younce.....

You see folks the list can go on and on. Everyone of these drivers I have mentioned have the right to be called the BEST at Grundy. Everyone has won at Grundy and other tracks. I enjoyed every night when the pit gate would open up. Thrilled to get in the pits and see who was there to challenge for the win.

Also, I can say " I dropped the GREEN FLAG and Checkered Flags" in-front of all of these drivers. I enjoyed my 23 years as an Official with UARA, WoOM and UMARA.

Thanks for the 10 years of the BEST SEAT in THE HOUSE (The Flagstand) and I'll see you guys in May or June of 2004. I'll have my flags with me in case you want me to flag that night.

Danny Carter
Surprise, Arizona

crew cheif 1t

crew cheif 1t

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
danny you need to come back and flag the old timers and past champs night when i was younger i use to love wacthing you flag you use to get after it i loved it thanks for the memories

Stefano DiMera

Stefano DiMera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
QUOTE (usac midget @ Mar 13 2004, 01:38 AM)
Stefano, I would like to argue one point you made in your last post.  I would have to say that the years 1992 thru 1995, we were probably in the top 3 cars when speaking about horsepower.  Danny Pens in the #1 Beast /Pontiac and Dennis Devea in the #5 V4 would probably be the other two.  In '94 our pontiac dynoed at 320hp.  Not bad from a motor that my dad and his buddy developed.  Ours was a Arias block that was plugged and redrilled to fit the Pontiac 433 then the 801 cylinder head.  The Rock Run chassis was definately one of a kind, but if anyone remembers, I took care of that my first nigth in it at Grundy(turn3-4 and the scoreboard) Ha Ha Ha..

Well then, I stand corrected. But still, Carter out-braked them all, I think you’ll agree.

I was there the night you totaled the old 36 car. Scary.

And Danny Carter, you were the best Flagman I’ve ever seen. You had a sixth sense up there, the moment a car spun, you had the yellow waving before I had a chance to blink. You were truly a master of your craft, and are sorely missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users