Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sun Prairie Tonight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
Since I can't sleep right now...

Mike Hess Passed Brandon on the last corner of the last lap to take the National feature.... Kurt Mayhew took the Illini race.

Thank you to Sun Prairie for having the IRS guys up. A broken steering gear kept us sidelined tonight.

Mouse (Michael Adams Jr.)

PS... New Business Idea for those out there who want it.... Keep an Auto Parts store open past 7pm on Sunday. We could have used it tonight sad.gif

zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Never heard of "Midnight Auto Supply"? You've led a sheltered life, Mouse!
I add my thanks to the Angell Park management for inviting the IRS up to their legendary facility. After 32 years away it was very satisfying to again sign a car into the track there. Eddie Sauer did a fabulous job of putting The Mongrel together and shouldering on to a 5th in the IRS feature despite a brake problem, a spin, an oil leak, and a little exhaust header fire. Dave, Tom, and Tyler kept after it all night long. If this photo attaches you'll see what a great crew they are.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois[attachmentid=1894]

Attached Files

spbill

spbill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
We always cheer for Eddie, I was sorry to hear of the passing of his Pinto, though.
My neighbor really liked the car too and Eddie did a great job.
To us that kind of looked like a pavement car, is it?
If you don't have something nice to say, say it on a message board.

zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Bill, we really don't know anything about the car's history, hence The Mongrel designation. I posted pictures of it when I got it in April of 2007 and didn't get responses that panned out. When I took it apart it had what looked like Angell Park clay on it, a faded USAC inspection sticker on a frame rail, a front anti-roll bar tube, and a mounting for a rack & pinion steering shaft. It was a faded red color with a white vinyl #7 on the head rest style tail tank.
We're trying to figure out how to get it lower for the Cedar Rapids pavement show as the Jones QC almost hits the seat already and the tie rod barely clears the oil cooler. I collected lots of pieces from different sources for it but the real credit belongs to Eddie for putting it together so well. That tail tank came from Long Island New York as part of a genuine Edmunds coil car I bought by accident. Glenn Ohlendorf found me the key motor parts and assembled a very stout little 144. My budget couldn't afford a "good" crank so Eddie has to stay under 6800 rpm [he took an extra 100 rpm in last night but who could blame him?]. Mark Morey did a bunch of fabricating early on in the project and Eddie's loyal crew was there in the end to push the project to completion.

BTW, the youngster in the photo is unofficially blamed for hastening the Pinto's demise. His first time in a midget -at Rockford- he got 8000 rpm out of the old pony. Two days later it died. Coincidence? We don't think so. If anyone has a useable 2300cc Pinto long block they can part with cheap, Tyler would be interested in building a replacement motor in hopes of running for the IRS R-o-Y in 2009.

Anybody else got info on The Mongrel's past life?

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois
Beta Gear Service Mongrel-VW #11

spbill

spbill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
You IRS guys are too cool and too funny!
I look forward to watching you race next week.
If you don't have something nice to say, say it on a message board.

zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
QUOTE(spbill @ Aug 4 2008, 03:20 PM) View Post

You IRS guys are too cool and too funny!
I look forward to watching you race next week.

A fan in the stands [Tom Carlson] took these photos of the IRS Sportsman cars in action last week at Angell Park. We're looking forward to another night of wheel-to-wheel action.
Chuck Schultz
Car Owner
Beyta Gear Service Mongrel-VW #11[attachmentid=1904][attachmentid=1905]

Attached Files

IRS Agent

IRS Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
Thanks to Tom Carlson for the great shots,and to Chuck for sharing them. In the top photo, Eddie is leading multi-time champ Sue Spencer in the Manic Racing #31, a Quad-4 powered Ellis chassis.

The bottom photo shows past champ Loran Critchett, Jr. out front in the #17 Dave Gass Volkswagon powered Challenger, the Mongrel, and Scott Koerner's #4 heat race winning Bishop chassis with a Sesco under the hood.

Four different frames with three different powerplants. Welcome to IRS style racing!

See everyone tonight (August 10th) for our last trip to Angell Park for 2008. The plan is for us to qualify again tonight. Should be fun!

IRS Agent

IRS Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
Due to a typographical error, the previously posted points were off by one position from 7th down to 30th. These are the corrected standings.

Illini Racing Series point standings after 08/03/08:
1. Joe Knippel 2256,
2. Loran Critchett, Jr. 1951,
3. Doug Orseske 1938,
4. Lamont Critchett 1878,
5. Jason Dull 1713,
6. Allen Gillis 1537,
7. Scott Koerner 1363,
8. Scott Dunning 1259,
9. Mark Morey 1199,
10. Dick Kaiser 1158,
11. Mike Adams, Jr. 1097,