Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Midget engines

engines

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

dfsmith

dfsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'd like to get some info on the different engines maybe from guys that do them themselves with knowledge of building. What are all the differnt engine types and is there a base engine family where these came from? In other words can you get an old cast iron block (chevy,ford,mopar, toyota) and build your own with aluminum head, off the shelf cam, pistons, crank,rods. Are they stroked with a different crank and punched out. Just some info because the research i have done it seems like this NSA stuff nobody says anything lol.

zerohunger

zerohunger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Very few people build their own midget motors these days. They might "freshen" them with new bearings and rings and valve springs but for the most part the motors are built by professional engine builders with acess to CNC machine tools and dynamometers.
I expect a few posts now from those who will claim otherwise. I will also refrain from telling war stories of home built engines of the past. We are where we are on this topic and there are no signs of us going back. Crate motors have taken over the stock car classes and even some sprint car classes.
You can buy engine blocks from Kansas Race Products that will fit popular V-8 cylinder heads. That KRP piece was used in ARCA short track trucks and is somewhat interchangible with the Pontiac Iron Duke.
So the short answer to your question is yes, you can build your own motor but few people even try.

dfsmith

dfsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users