Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Banned or Vintage Midgets to run 2012 Chillibowl?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
Always trying to think of a topic that might have fan appeal and I'm serious...lol, I was wondering if Lanny (?), Lenny (? ) ever ran a race that was only for banned or vintage midgets ever have a chance of running at the Chillibowl?

Lenny (?) runs his race of Champions at the Chillibowl? I really don't know if the fans like this race or not. I don't know if the champions like running this race or car owners like entering thier cars and running them in this race.

But you hear so much about banned Midgets. For instance Lanny banned Bondios "ski". How about letting Bondio run this ski in a "Banned or vintage midget race" at the Chillibowl.

I know there are many midgets that have been banned from midget racing. I wonder if thier is enough of them out their, that their could be a special race for them at the Chillibowl. It was just a thought and I thought I would post it.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and God Bless you and Bill Gardner on www.indianaopenwheel.com

pokieokie

pokieokie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Always trying to think of a topic that might have fan appeal and I'm serious...lol, I was wondering if Lanny (?), Lenny (? ) ever ran a race that was only for banned or vintage midgets ever have a chance of running at the Chillibowl?

Lenny (?) runs his race of Champions at the Chillibowl? I really don't know if the fans like this race or not. I don't know if the champions like running this race or car owners like entering thier cars and running them in this race.

But you hear so much about banned Midgets. For instance Lanny banned Bondios "ski". How about letting Bondio run this ski in a "Banned or vintage midget race" at the Chillibowl.

I know there are many midgets that have been banned from midget racing. I wonder if thier is enough of them out their, that their could be a special race for them at the Chillibowl. It was just a thought and I thought I would post it.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and God Bless you and Bill Gardner on www.indianaopenwheel.com

Larry, time was they would have run a hot air balloon race to fill out the program (anybody remember the burning convertible or the "dead end" bungee jump?) They did run vintage midgets on a demo basis for several years, but time and space limitations have done away with all that. There's not even time or space for the two-seater sprint car anymore, and that was a popular deal. The last thing they need is anything (cars or people) who aren't directly connected to the main program. The race of champions may not be a world-beater, but they're all people and cars who are ALREADY there, so it costs nothing in the line of space-available. By the way, my favorite "banned" car was the monstrosity Danny Lasoski brought, with huge sheets of plexiglass up the sides, covered with advertising. Danny stood up and said "there are no rules at the Chili Bowl." Turns out he was wrong. ;) He got to run the car after it was stripped down to a normal configuration.

Badgerfan

Badgerfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
Besides that I'm not sure any sane driver would want to get on the track with that Bondio "ski" car next to him. Its bad enough to worry about a tire intruding into the cockpit much less a pointy ski.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
I say bring the two seater back. Only one extra car and it doesnt take up much time. it left many good memories. The race of champions I believe was just to fill the seats on tuesday which wasn't sold out at first. I can't remember who won any of them. If you can get a couple of vintage to race or a match race on some crazy designs that be cool.

carol14

carol14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
First - it is Lanny Edwards and Emmett Hahn who "own" this baby.
As far as I am concerned they already allow "banned" midgets to run. What series exists that would allow the midgets that Sammy and Kevin Swindell race? None. And yet - as I understand it - they wouldn't let the Kiwi's bring their midgets up here to compete. They have never won here - and yet they allow the Swindell midgets to compete that have won more than any other teams (I'm guessing - I have not researched that comment).
Now - did that open a can of worms?
As far as the Bondio Ski car - I do believe that was a hoax from the "get-go". Gotta love that sense of humor.

I personally think that a car should have had to have competed legally in another series for several events before allowed to run at the Chili Bowl. That - or even better - get some scales (which they already have) and some oversized caliphers to measure wheel base and width - as other series do. Whatever it takes - I'd love to see a more level playing field for the Chili Bowl.

Now I'll go find a catcher's mitt to defend myself from comments.

Ssmiley

Ssmiley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Young lady;

If by any chance you are sugegsting that either Sammy Swindell OR his son lack talent and are somehow driving some super special midget, please save your breath. Both have tons of talent and experience and can win in darned near anything, anytime, anyplace. Your piost sounded as if you might be questionoing their ability and implying SOMETHING about their cara. if that is the case, do yourself a favor and DON'T?? Any race car with them driving ecomes super special. And they are a great family, to boot. Thanks

REGARDS;

John Ward (Midget fan since 1964)(Swindell Fan, always)

First - it is Lanny Edwards and Emmett Hahn who "own" this baby.
As far as I am concerned they already allow "banned" midgets to run. What series exists that would allow the midgets that Sammy and Kevin Swindell race? None. And yet - as I understand it - they wouldn't let the Kiwi's bring their midgets up here to compete. They have never won here - and yet they allow the Swindell midgets to compete that have won more than any other teams (I'm guessing - I have not researched that comment).
Now - did that open a can of worms?
As far as the Bondio Ski car - I do believe that was a hoax from the "get-go". Gotta love that sense of humor.

I personally think that a car should have had to have competed legally in another series for several events before allowed to run at the Chili Bowl. That - or even better - get some scales (which they already have) and some oversized caliphers to measure wheel base and width - as other series do. Whatever it takes - I'd love to see a more level playing field for the Chili Bowl.

Now I'll go find a catcher's mitt to defend myself from comments.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
I really didn't see anywhere were she questions their talent or abiblity. Just what car variations can run or not.

jcjohnston

jcjohnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
REGARDS;
John Ward (Midget fan since 1964)(Swindell Fan, always)

+++++

John,
Same John Ward that worked day and night and weekend hand crafting a formula car in McCain's shop in Tucson in the early 70's? If so, good to see you're active. Often thought of you. Loved following your career. Would be good to see you at a track sometime.
Didn't Sammy qualify one of your cars at Indy and get bumped at the last minute?
Jim Johnston

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users