Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scat V4

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

standox

standox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I'm looking at a midget for sale with a Scat V4 motor
Can anyone give me information on this type of motor. Pros and cons.
Thanks

standox

standox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
any information?
this would be my first midget, I could use some help.
thanks

Cal FSAE

Cal FSAE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Pro's
Short engine, more rear weight
better engine balancing (theoretically)
should use standard heads that are cut in half.
compact
its different.

Con's
weight not offset to the left
not many spare parts like cranks, cams, etc.
needs custom parts
its different

Ive seen them run pretty well in BCRA. They should make more. I believe the blocks come from scat.

ETB

ETB

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
#1 don't expect any help from scat! This motor is quite different from a four cyl. inline, your set-ups will also be different from the norm. For someone just getting started I would not recommend it.

midgets61

midgets61

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
standox,
Mike Astrauskas is advertising a Jack Rich combo car with a scat V-4 aluminum,
more info on wingedmidgets.com or call Mike at 616-636-5681. $8000.00 asking price.
midgets61

Also I remember Ric Burdine running a couple of scat V-4's when I was with NAMARS, don't know if he's on this board but do remember him having quite a learnig experience with those motors.
Steve

standox

standox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for your help guys. I do appreciate it!
Rick

WBR

WBR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Russ Gamester was fast in the 80's with a scat V4. I helped Ron Eden with his scat V4 in the 90's, I never worked on the motor much just helped with the car. Don Kenyon worked on the engine when it need it. You might try him at 3K Racing.
Mark Wilson

WBR Website

N.O.M.A. warrior

N.O.M.A. warrior

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
the couple of v-4 cars i have seen run were fast! and they had a cool sound to them cool.gif

Ron Midget 45

Ron Midget 45

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Check with Ron Trainor in Phoenix. There used to be a couple in the Phoenix area that Ron worked on and they flew. They are rather touchy though. They make a bunch of bottom end torque. The Peachy's in Colorado also ran one and had pretty good luck with it.

racn92

racn92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Contact Steve Peachey in Denver,Colorado. He won the RMMRA championship with Keith Rauch driving & they also won both nights of the U.S.A.C Mauro Classic against some of U.S.A.C's finest driver's. It was also very fast at Bellville Ks.

standox

standox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Thanks again!
this motor would probably be good with a smooth driver?

wobbler

wobbler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
QUOTE (Cal FSAE @ Feb 7 2006, 09:59 PM)
Pro's
Short engine, more rear weight
better engine balancing (theoretically)
should use standard heads that are cut in half.
compact
its different.

Con's
weight not offset to the left
not many spare parts like cranks, cams, etc.
needs custom parts
its different

Ive seen them run pretty well in BCRA. They should make more. I believe the blocks come from scat.

Just to pick you up on a few points of clarity.

V4's actually have worse balancing problems because the cylinders do not fire at 90 degree intervals. Because of this they run V8 mags/ distributors and fire 4 blank plugs.

A Scat V4 is designed from the front and rear half of a V8 with the middle cylinders missing. So to use v8 Heads you need a pair to cut down and join. Other V4's using cut down V8 blocks (steel or aluminium) can get away with only using one head for both cylider banks.

Having said that I love them, especially if they have the right firing order as they sound like a V8. Have the wrong firing order and they sound like a worn out VW!

It was a shame that there was naver a great deal of development done and they have fallen back in technology advances unlike other engines!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users