Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

50 Greatest Midget Drivers.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Midget2154

Midget2154

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
How can y'all forget a LEGEND and one of Midget racing's first stars, Freddie Agabashian??????

Mrs. racer35k

Mrs. racer35k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
not exactly a legend, but a true gentleman, and all around nicest guy any of us will ever know... leon 'jigger' sirois. a good, smooth racer, too!!

mike finley

mike finley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif addendum to previous post...According to the SLARA 25th anniversary book.. Slara was started in 1938 and then was put on hold because of WWll..and resumed in 1946...all the records from before WWll were destroyed..There is a list of drivers in that book that takes up 3 pages and includes hundreds of names..very interesting reading and looking..lots of good old pics...

larryoracing

larryoracing

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1495 posts
midgets, sprints and silver crown photographs, not to mention Indy!

http://www.openwheel.....0Part 19.html

Great page of past midget stars and Indy racers.

Larry "O"

Tuff1

Tuff1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
What happened to Mac McClellan? Why is he not on the list

Midget8

Midget8

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
That is a great list of drivers everyone has put together...Some of the names I have not heard in a VERY long time.

SUPERDUKE

SUPERDUKE

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OHIO INDIANA MIDGET GREATS 30S 40S 50S HOUSTON BUNDY BENNY EMRICK DICK FRAIZER KENNY EATON BOB BREADING TED HARTLEY GENE FORCE BILL MACKEY RED RENNER TOM CHERRY JACKIE HOLMES TOMMY GRAY SWEDE CARPENTER JUST TO NAME A FEW! CAN YOU THINK OF SOMEMORE?

Ken C

Ken C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
QUOTE(racer35k @ Jan 21 2005, 12:46 PM) View Post

mike.. virgil ford. that's an old time st. louis area name. i recall the ford family pretty well. not a household name, but a family of good racers. i remember the time(s) dads told the story of entering 26 midget races one summer, winning 22 of them,finishing 2nd twice, and a dnf twice. he said the grooves in the racecar upholstery matched the grooves in his back! i forget how many times dad won the slara championship, but it was 3 or 4, i think. help me out here on that, please. thanks, art.

KC9K

KC9K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
How about Howard House(homemade car always fast, Joe Walter (drove for Jack Cunningham, Bill Darnell and many more), Dick Richie drove for Gil Northway),Jud Larson, Jack Yelly and on and on. Back in the days when they would run 7 or 8 races a week I don't think they keep't track of how many races they won.

buck2

buck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
I remember Chuck Marshall winning quite a few. I think he drove the Hamilton 55 before Schrader came along.

Hooligan29

Hooligan29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
I know he isn't remembered as a Midget Driver, but the greatest preformance I ever saw in a was by Jan Opperman.
Years may have altered the story in my mind, but here is how I remember his first trip to Grandview Speedway in Pennsylvania

- He was driving a car he never sat in before
- He had never seen the track
- Missed Hot Laps
- Went last to first in his heat in ONE LAP
- Went Last to first in the feature in about 3 laps.

The car he drove was a regular at the track. A good car,; not a great car.

He was a great driver period.

If there are others that remeber this event. Post your memories.

"It's NeverToo Late To Have A Happy Childhood"

pwfan

pwfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HOW ABOUT ONE OF THE BEST MIDGET RACERS TO COME OUT OF ARIZONA , MR. WAYNE WIELER. NOT MANY NAANY NATIONAL WINS BUT MANY IN ARIZONA.

pwfan

pwfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HOW ABOUT ONE OF THE BEST MIDGET RACERS TO COME OUT OF ARIZONA , MR. WAYNE WIELER. HE WAS ONE OF THE BEST IN AZ IN 50'S .

badgercrew

badgercrew

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
when the brand new offy's first came to badger in the late 60's, Owen Snider,aka Todd Barton took an outdated chassis with an old chevy 2 and just kicked everybodys butt. There was a great midget driver.

Kdull56

Kdull56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
One name conspicuously missing from the list: Danny Caruthers.
1971 USAC Midget Champion. I think if you compared accomplishments over time you would have to agree that Danny Caruthers was phenomenal. Danny was tragically killed when his throttle stuck and only ran one incomplete season but he still managed to win the championship. I've always wondered how far he could have gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users