Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Midget Racing Dying

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
Hey MadMike12c and anyone else interested:

There WILL be another, very good option for you to strongly consider besides Speedrome no matter what happens there for 2006.

Go to http://www.X2RA.com and send an e-mail to info@X2RA.com. It will come directly to me. I will be happy to respond with more details as it stands right now.

Thanks,
Jimmy Baumgartner
Partner and VP of Marketing
Xtreme Xcitement Racing Association

>> Creating the racing future at a higher power <<
Jimmy Baumgartner
Co-Owner and Director of Marketing
www.X2RA.com
>> Let's Make It About Racing... <<

rcderek9

rcderek9

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
buck2 I agree with you in some aspect on the spec motors. First of all With the modifications needed to make a midget engine, special engine builders are needed. And esslinger may not have been the best suggestion. I just know that like most people buying a $30,000 engine is just not practical. I would rather go race elsewhere. Another thing to consider is that anymore many midget drivers are it it as a stepping stone to something bigger so they are willing to put whatever money they have into it. I am a third gen. driver so I love the history and heritage of midget racing, and I understand everybody's points on the things that make midget racing "midget racing". But we HAVE to make some changes as hard as it may be for some people. One thing I notice in the racing community is that there are a lot of nay sayers that seem to think every idea is a bad one. There is no reason no to try different ideas, if they don't work go back to the old rules. I also agree that most promoters are not doing a great job at promoting. But I think at least 50% of the responsibility is ours now whether we want it or not. The bottom line is that the first step to "fix" our issues is building a fan base and let THEM (the fans and tracks) tell us what to change. They are what make racing what it is.

www.wingedmidgets.com also runs in michigan indiana ohio

Baue

Baue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
The Beast panhard bar is a fabricated panhard bar made from two seperate pieces of steel that are seem welded together. Howerton's actually make it for them. It is stronger and lighter than the standard steel.

HUFFSTER

HUFFSTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I'VE BEEN THINKING A LOT ABOUT THE WHOLE PROMOTIONAL ISSUE SINCE THE CLOSURE OF 2 TRACKS OUT HERE IN COLORADO, PIKES PEAK AND ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL SPEEDWAY, DENVERS ONLY DIRT TRACK, AND HOPEFULLY THE LAST TO CLOSE.

NOW PPIR'S CLOSURE ISN'T SUCH A BIG DEAL AS I UNDERSTAND IT MAY BRING A BIGGER AND BETTER SUPERSPEEDWAY TO DENVER BY THE POWERS OF NASCAR AND HOPEFULLY THAT WILL BRING A DIRT TRACK TOO.

BUT THAT STARTED ME THINKING ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN NASCAR AND USAC THATS STARTING TO COME ABOUT WITH THE NEW PAVEMENT SILVER CROWN CARS, AS UGLY AS THEY ARE. THE IDEA TO PROMOTE THEM ON THE SAME BILL IS A GOOD THING AND WITH MANY OF THE UP AND COMING NASCAR PERSONALITIES COMING FROM USAC OR OPEN WHEEL RACING IE. MIDGETS AND SPRINTS AND .... HOPEFULLY...... THE INTEREST IN GRASS ROOTS RACING.

HAVING PEOPLE LIKE TONY STEWART, KASEY KANE WHO STILL PROMOTE AND SPONCER MIDGET RACING IN USAC AND @ VENUES LIKE THE CHILE BOWL AND THE TURKEY BOWL CAN ONLY HELP THE CAUSE, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PLUG GRASS ROOTS RACING ON NATIONAL TV, WHICH CAN BE THE CAUSE AND THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM OF TRACK ATTENDANCE.

SO WHAT TO DO?
PETITION TV PROGRAMS WHO PROMOTE RACING, LIKE THE SPEED CHANNEL OR THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL TO AIR MORE PROGRAMS ON MIDGET AND SPRINT RACING,AND GAIN MORE INTEREST IN THE GENERAL PUPLIC....... THE PROBLEM IS GETTING THE FAT ###### AMERICANS AWAY FROM THEIR TV TO GO TO THE RACES!

KILL YOUR TV AND GO RACING!

Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
RCDerek9 --

That's an interesting statement with "...one thing I notice in the racing community is that there are a lot of nay sayers that seem to think every idea is a bad one..."

>> That's a pretty sweeping generalization...But, more importantly, it would be good to know where these negative attitudes are. Could you be more specific? Is it in Midgets or ALL the racing community?

Another interesting statement with "...I also agree that most promoters are not doing a great job at promoting..."

>> Wow...It's very possible that promoters read that part of your post. (I know that you explain further about "at least 50% of the responsibility") But, holy smokes...promoters have a lot of racing entertainment choices. Do you really think that they want to be told who to run their track?

The LAST thing that the MIDGET racing community needs is to have the perception with promoters that we EXPECT something out of them.

Food for thought...
Jimmy Baumgartner
www.X2RA.com

Elvis

Elvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Most tracks in Ohio are now owned by CAR OWNERS...

mostly Late Model owners..couple of em are Sprint car owners...and Tony dont count..

They have ZERO interest in Midgets...

Race tracks USE TO BE owned by PROMOTORS...not any more..

I would assume other states have the same problem...

Car owners make HORRIBLE track owners...

Midgets are a at a dead-end...till the track owner situation returns to...."Promotors" owning the tracks...

Then the Midgets may get a fair shot...

Untill ALL MIDGETS ARE SELF STARTING...most track owners wont even talk to you...

Push start Midgets are HISTORY...on a local level..

Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
Hey Elvis --

For what it's worth...I respectfully disagree with most of your post.

And, it sounds to me like you might have an agenda here. Perhaps, I'm way wrong. If so, I apologize. You are certainly entitled to your opinion; but, what I hear you saying is that:

>> Midget racing is a dead-end UNLESS you have a "self-starting" one (i.e. Focus?)
>> And, midgets should ONLY run where track owners have no car ownership.

HUH??!!

C'mon...This sounds very SELF-DEFEATING and almost indifferent.

>> Does it REALLY matter whether there is a "promoter" or a "track owner"?
>> And, are you REALLY suggesting that "push-start" midget racing can only survive on the big-money National level?

Finally, who's "Tony" -- the sprint car, track owner that you referenced that "doesn't count"...? (Just curious...)

Ren

Jimmy Baumgartner
www.X2RA.com

Nasgab2

Nasgab2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys, read every reply about Midget Racing Dying. It probably will never get to how it was before and several years after WW II. The reason? There's just too much other entertainment going on now, both inside and outside the house. You'll have to somehow make the experience at the track worth going back to every week. And it's not going to be charging $15 a head for a weekly show. If there's going to be a pause in the action have something to get the audience involved. Some sort of competition for free tickets maybe.

Promotion...promotion...PROMOTION...and not just for the promoters. Have the promoter make up plenty of hand bills and posters and give them to every team that comes throught the gate. Carry the promotion items with you wherever you go and hand them out. Grocery stores, auto parts stores, the post office or whatever business you frequent and ask them politely if they would post it. Even if it's just 5 hand bills and a poster per team, think about how many businesses now would have some advertisement for the track that wasn't there before. And, since everyone lives in different towns the word would spread. It's all just a thought.

If you have a track nearby that have Midgets you are so lucky. Don't lose them. There's plenty of places around this country that doesn't have a track for hundreds of miles. I'm not even sure where the closest midget track is to the Quad Cities, but the Davenport Speedway and Rock Island County Fair Grounds don't race midgets. Nothing close enough anyway. I wonder how many Quad Citians never had a chance to see Kevin Doty race, or Davey Ray for that matter? Get the people to the track, then you can make them fans.

Thanks for the chance to respond. See ya' in Tulsa.

DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
QUOTE (dirtywhiteboy @ Oct 21 2005, 09:18 AM)
UMARA has doen probably the best thing to curb midget racing expenses with the Sportsman series. Spec Mickey Thompson's, reduced engine output, and limiting the "special" parts has seemed to work. The UMARA Sportsman teams use the same tire nearly all year long unless the blowout or blister. The Focus series was a good idea just no enforcement. Make it mandatory that you use a combo car. I don't think it is an issue mandating what you can and can't run for a car.

I dunno about running the spec tire all year. The champion seems to put a heat cycle on a NEW RR during hotlaps.There greassy when new. Then put the previous weeks hot lap tire on for the rest of the night.There was also talk that there were other cars puting cycle on a NEW tire during the heat races. Then putting it on one of the top cars for the feature. The top guys are buying tires far more frequently than you think. As far as special parts almost all have to special order front axles or get some wacky offset wheel just to make the width and offset rules. With the communist payout and downright festive attitude down there,in addition to a sparce crowd. The car counts are dwindling. With that said the racing is excellent. But if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?

frlagace

frlagace

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
This all sucks! Here in New England, NEMA midgets have huge budgets. A 19 year old drives a supermod, Whelan mod, midget, and SK mod in one day, and I think he fills in a Silver Crown car once in a while.. When newspapers do profiles on these young drivers, they make it sound like the kid has a good paper route to support his racing.

The Focus program may be a good idea because of the sealed engine, but the chassis needs to be regulated. No titanium, for one. Also, a tire rule. A New England modified track has a tire rule something like where you have to buy used tires for $25.00, run the whole set all night, and I think they're only limited to a total of 4 tires a season.

Anyway, racing of any sort will always be too expensive to get the ordinary spectator from the bleachers to the track.

ridtherim

ridtherim

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
friagace, i agree with what you say about the focus series looking like a good deal because of the sealed motor. we are possibly looking to get involved but i noticed a post on the classified section yesterday about a focus car for sale. pretty expensive, asking 36k and have over 43k invested. is this normal?

2005 BEAST PAVEMENT FOCUS CAR, BUILT MID SEASON BY REAL RACE CARS. 7 RACES OLD WITH 4 RACES ON NEW MOTOR.

CAROLINA/VIRGINA RACE WINNER AT SOUTH BOSTON OWNED AND DRIVEN BY TERRY HALL #8

NO EXPENSE SPARED:
CARBON FIBER BODY
LIGHTWEIGHT CERAMIC BRAKES FRONT AND REAR
WILWOOD 4-PISTON CALIPERS
BROWN AND MILLER ULTRA-LIGHT PLUMBING
WATERMAN CABLE DRIVE FUEL SYSTEM
KINSLER FUEL BY-PASSES
C&R 2 PASS RADIATOR
TITANIUM DRIVESHAFT
LOADED TITANIUM REAR END WITH LIGHTENED RING GEAR
TI KING PINS
SANDERS DIRECT MOUNT FRONT HUBS "BLACK"
TITANIUM BOLTS/NUTS IN FRONT HUBS
SANDERS WHEELS W/ "BLACK" CENTERS AND TI BOLTS IN CENTERS
POLISHED RADIUS RODS AND COMPONENTS
RH KSE STEERING GEAR WITH DEAD TUBE RESOVIOR & KSE PUMP
PENSKE 7300 SERIES SHOCKS W/ BASE VALVES
FRONTS ARE EYELET ADJUSTABLE
REARS ARE COCKPIT ADJUSTABLE
PENSKE COCKPIT ADJUSTABLE WEIGHT JACKER
6" HYPERCOIL SPRINGS
TEL TAC
2 1/16 SMALL GAUGES W/ SEALS-IT GAUGE GROMMETS
ALL INTERIOR BODY PANELS AND MOTOR PLATE BLACK ANODIZED
FRAME POWDER COATED METALLIC ORANGE
NO PAINT ON BODY, JUST VINYL

OVER $43,000.00 INVESTED!
RACE READY FOR NEXT SEASON OR THE PRI SHOW RACE
FIRST $36,000.00 TAKES IT SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY!!

CONTACT RYAN SCOTT @ REAL RACE CARS 704-784-4554
PICTURES AVALIBLE UPON REQUEST

frlagace

frlagace

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey RIDETHERIM,

I saw that ad too. For that kind of money, you could get an outstanding used full blown midget operation with tons of spares and probably a good enclosed trailer. I saw a good used NEMA midget operation for $15,000 with spares and enclosed trailer.

A new Beast or Hawk Focus midget is $25,000 - $30,000 new. There have been a few posts on this board saying to shop for a while and a deal will turn up for good used stuff and I think that's true. But operating budgets are an issue.

I wonder what a reasonable Focus tire budget would be. As far as spending nutty, I look around at my local mini sprint track. There's a lot of enclosed trailers and everyone is just sitting in them. The track hotshot who runs a 750cc, 360 sprint, and quad 4 has old equipment and does quite well. I think it's an issue of people trying to intimidate with money.

jack mayhoff

jack mayhoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Money, money and more money. It takes 20 millionairs to fill a feild of midget racecars in USAC. Cost of tires ,engines and all the parts in general cant justify fielding a car for the money that is payed out. I said it once and ill say it again. TV was the start of the downfall of midgets. Rich daddys trying to make a name for their 16 year old son. This drove up the cost of everything. A $30,000 engine is faster than a $20,000 engine. So the stupid daddy would go out and pay $40,000! why! Because he can! and will! It took the little guy right out of the picture! We are at a point of no return. Put every midget in the country in the Chilli Bowl and blow it up !!!!!! Start over!!!

UtahFocus5

UtahFocus5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
43k investment for a Focus is so out of control that it would funny if not so sad. Read the ad: "titanium, carbon fiber, titanium, ultalightweight, titanium".... I hope the guys at RRC feel good about themselves, they have no concept of the "spirit of the rules". Maybe the guys at RRC don't have the ability to win without outspending everyone.....

We have a gentlemens agreement out here, that when we run exhibitions this coming year and start "real" racing in 2007, that we're going to keep things from getting insane. One of our future participants had ordered a $2400 titanium decked out rear end and spent $2200 on 4 shocks. He's been told that while we can't keep him from racing with us, we sure hope he never needs help or to borrow a part. "Sure would be a shame if he breaks a shock and us average folks feel too ashamed of our "regular" ARS shocks to loan one....." He got the hint. Having nice equipment is one thing

I hate being a @#$hole but when people start breaking the spirit of the rules and turning things into $$$ contest, they sure shouldn't be welcomed with open arms.

Bob Brewer
bob.brewer@fordfocusmidgets.com
www.fordfocusmidgets.com

Elvis

Elvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
QUOTE (jack mayhoff @ Nov 14 2005, 09:56 PM)
Money, money and more money. It takes 20 millionairs to fill a feild of midget racecars in USAC. Cost of tires ,engines and all the parts in general cant justify fielding a car for the money that is payed out. I said it once and ill say it again. TV was the start of the downfall of midgets. Rich daddys trying to make a name for their 16 year old son. This drove up the cost of everything. A $30,000 engine is faster than a $20,000 engine. So the stupid daddy would go out and pay $40,000! why! Because he can! and will! It took the little guy right out of the picture! We are at a point of no return. Put every midget in the country in the Chilli Bowl and blow it up !!!!!! Start over!!!

REAL MIDGETS run motorcycle engines and chains..!!

Thats the way it was for the first 25 years of Midget racing..like it or not.

So called Mini sprints 1200 SUZUKI's ARE the ONLY true Midgets out there..

They are UNORGANIZED..

Cheap to run and WILL outrun a $50,000 National car on a 1/4 mile...

Like it or not...

Buy a "mini sprint" call it what it is...a Midget...and go racing cheaply and quit all this STUPID bitching...

Push start DUNE BUGGYS are history...get over it...

Present managment of...." YOU KNOW WHO AT 16TH ST" ha....is the problem...

See Marty ,, we didnt mention any specific names...ho ho...

This is a riot...there are 500 REAL Midgets coast to coast and everyone IGNORES em....

Now class....say this a million times till it sinks.. in......

a REAL MIDGET RUNS A MOTORCYLE ENGINE AND CHAIN DRIVE...

over and over and over and over till you WAKE UP...smile.gif...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users