Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tyler Nelson Battles to Exciting Finish at Macon Speedway

Tyler Nelson POWRi Macon Speedway 2018

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

JessicaJ

JessicaJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Tyler Nelson Battles to Exciting Finish at Macon Speedway

By Jessica Jenkins

Attached File  2018-08 Macon 713 387x320.jpg   89.54KB   0 downloads

On a warm, slightly breezy August afternoon, Tyler Nelson returned to Macon Speedway.  After a month off due to weather and schedule conflicts, the Kansas native was looking to rebound from a tough three race weekend in Missouri.

Drawing a number that put him fourth to start the third heat race, Nelson drove a smart race and gained one position to finish third.  Earning just enough passing points to easily put himself into the Feature, the #88 rolled off inside row seven once Feature time approached.  Racing on a track that had received significant rain fall heading into the weekend made for an intense race amidst the highly competitive POWRi national midget field.  A couple early yellows kept the drivers together, allowing Nelson to move into twelfth.  Over the final twenty laps he utilized whichever line he could to hold his position against all challengers.  Coming to the checkered flag he was in a fight with two other drivers, trading sliders and positions almost quicker than you could think.  Coming to the checkered flag they were three wide and the blue and white Spike Chassis barely nipped them at the line to claim twelfth place.

Pleased to get through the race with nothing more than a flat tire due to the last corner action, Nelson confided, "I think we did really well tonight.  It's been hard this season with the big breaks between when we run, so coming here and getting straight in from the heat race was a big thing.  Then starting that deep in the feature, I feel like I battled well and got some good laps.  I'm really happy with the results because of coming off a kind of bad stint in Missouri.  So to get this, it's a real confidence boost and I feel like we can take this and go forward with it.  This was the best track we've had coming here.  It was super heavy and wet and so that makes for a really fun race track because it's really fast.  You had to be on top of your game and I feel like we were tonight."

With the support of his grandma, Wilwood Brakes, Superior Bearing and Supply, Mike Hurst and his dedicated crew, Nelson's next confirmed race will be USAC's BC39 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway September 5-6.  You may be able to catch him at another track before then though, so stay tuned to the Tyler Nelson Racing Facebook page or follow him on Twitter @TylerNelson88.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tyler Nelson, POWRi, Macon Speedway, 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users