Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question about the Copper on Dirt.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
After watching the Copper on Dirt for the midgets, I was amazed at how Kyle Larson walked away from the competition. I thought it was kind of emabarrasing. Is his car that superior to all the other National teams?

I did notice that he drove his car much in the way that WoO sprint cars are driven, which is to basically drive the cars into the corners, carrying speed with a possible breathing of the motor and application of the brakes to get the car to turn. But saying that I find it kind of hard to believe just his racing style would allow him to almost lap the competition.

I just thought I would ask.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

leftrear

leftrear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
I just watched it, did anyone else have a motor ? That looks like a good sized track where the motor will make alot of difference. I am sure what was in that car was top of the line, I don't know about the rest. Maybe I'm wrong though...

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
Thanks for that answer. It kind of made me realize if you can drive continuously for almost 30 laps (?) and almost never lift, sliding (sliders), riding the top at full speed and just carrying your speed/momentum you will basically have 30 qualifying laps that will outpace the field if nobody else has that setup or driving style. I know Kyle won the "King of California" 410 Wing sprint car series in California last year, so here was one race where he could use that exact driving style to get maximum speed and use that driving style which is the standard in Winged/WoO sprint car driving series. It is a little different than conventional non-wing driving style, where you loose a little speed at corner entry, because you kind of brake to enter the corner and set the car for the turn.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

neverliftms

neverliftms

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
Kyle was in a Kieth Kunz prepared car which is top of the line equipment for sure but so was Dakoda Armstrong. If was all car, then those 2 would've driven away from the field. But in fact, it was just Kyle therefore he had the feel and the fastest car that night hands down.

leftrear

leftrear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Yeah you are right about that but armstrong was raised on pavement... he leaves a bit to be desired on dirt. I don't know I wasn't there but I just cannot imagine anyone driving away from buckwalter like that on any dirt track if he had comparable equipment. I am just guessing but from the field it looks like those 2 toyotas were there and then what was everyone else running ? I used to see the same thing every week at the prairie. Every car that had a good engine would be in the same time zone. Once in awhile you'd get a runaway like that but it took a long green run. No caution really helped but he was way more hooked up than anyone else. Really from where I sit buckwalter was the only one there who is top notch in a MIDGET on dirt other than the winner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users