Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chili Bowl Flu

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

CYE84

CYE84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
Check in here if you got sick at or after the Bowl, been coughing & congested bad, I know of a few drivers that had the flu & was sick & June-Bug had to go to the doctor, Only had Poppy for two days.... Felt fine until I woke up Monday morning... Have coughed so much I feel that I have been stomped in the ribs... Fumes & dust??? Just the flu bug?? If is from the fumes & dust I will just learn how to deal with it.....

Top Row Rowdie

racerobert

racerobert

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
same here cye it is kicking my ######
top row rowdy robert

Bluedresser

Bluedresser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
After the last time my friend Charlie and I were at the Chili Bowl I ended up in bed for a week and he was sick for a month with his plurosie (sp). We attributed it to the foul air day after day and haven't gone back since. Haven't been sick yet since either. Coincidence?

kleenaire

kleenaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
I would rather be sick after the Chili Bowl than miss it!!! I will be there next year for sure!!!!

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
I have to admit I got a little sick, but my body fought it off. I'm still a little sick but not bad. I didn't watch as much racing as most of you and since I couldn't smoke, the bad air took it's place. I know some people were really having a hard time breathing, but since I smoke and couldn't the bad air took the place of me smoking.

But some of the sickness could be just the cold air. I don't think the human body like radical changes in weather and even though I was only outside of a few moments, it was cold.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

Mermaid

Mermaid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Mama Red has the flu for the first time in years. She actually missed work today! I've been hacking up a lung. I agree with Kleenaire, though. I would rather hack up a lung and be sick after the Bowl than miss the Bowl.
The Mermaid (a.k.a. Big Red)

Top Row Reds

CYE84

CYE84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Mama Red has the flu for the first time in years. She actually missed work today! I've been hacking up a lung. I agree with Kleenaire, though. I would rather hack up a lung and be sick after the Bowl than miss the Bowl.

X2.... Hope your mom gets to feeling better soon.... Bout got this mess cleared out of my system....
I love Moma & Popa Red.... Oh yea you too Red....

Top Row Rowdie

Badapple

Badapple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
QUESTION -
How many of you left the state of Oklahoma, THEN GOT SICK?
a.k.a. BIG P
Top Row Rowdie!!!
(& proud of it)

voglernut

voglernut

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I got sick as soon as i got home from Tulsa. I know at least 3 others that did as well. Something had to have been going around.

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
I had a little problem with the flight home. I got a little sick after getting home. It took a couple of days for my ears to get better. And the weather has been a little colder in California. I'm getting better and I'm not really that sick. Just a little bit.

Larry Otani

xrcr

xrcr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Been sick since Monday, Head and chest. Not enough to keep me from working but dam inconvienient. Won't keep me from going back.
xrcr

pokieokie

pokieokie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
I've always had a couple of theories about Chili Bowl Flu. The fumes and dust are bad news, but this year they actually had the lower doors open quite a bit, which helped...until the A feature on Saturday, when they closed them again. (?) A few other sources of the "flu" could be flying, which exposes people to other's germs in a closed environment, and the fact that you're packed into the building with 12,000 people from all over the world, all carrying varieties of germs you've probably not met before. I've been sick after the 'Bowl, but for whatever reason, I've come home healthy from the last two. Acquired immunity? Flu shots? I dunno. A dust mask may look sissie, but so what? Use one if you tend to get ill. Flushing the sinuses with saline solution also seems to help, and it's basic, but wash your hands every chance you get and use a sanitizer....the person who handed you that beer may have it in for you. We all know we're going back anyway, so why not do what we can?

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
pokieokie, made me think that a small oxygen bottle may be a solution to the oxygen problem.
I don't think one has to be expensive. Something that I will think about next Chillibowl.

Pokieokie did bring up a interesting point and that is most of us will probably go again.

I'm already thinking about it. Some things in life seem to happen. I can imagine going to the Chillibowl again.

It's not that I had so much fun, but I did, but it just that the Chillibowl experience is something that I don't truely understand yet. Going to the Chillibowl was a last minute idea for me based on helping a friend and he appreciated it. I think the Chillibowl is about friendships and helping people and if you enjoy the racing that is the 'icing on the cake'. I look forward to the next Chillibowl not for the racing and it will be fun but for the friendships that I will make. Those last a lifetime.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and happy racing in 2011.

John P Huss

John P Huss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1402 posts
I was sick because I knew the Chili Bowl was over Saturday night. Usually pretty loopy for a few days
after Chili Bowl.
Best Regards,
John

larryo

larryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
Hey John,

The Chillibowl had a completely different affect on me. I don't like to bragg about it or even think about it, but I'm already thinking about next year's Chillibowl. My buddy already gave me advice on what I should be thinking about. We will probably have an upgrade in the motors and chassis' and doing a few things that the rules don't allow for in normal USAC racing. Not that we are goin' to win or anything but just taking the race for what it is and the rules allow one to experiment and try different things not allowed in normal Midget Racing.

Again, I don't want to take it too seriously. I'm glad to be part of a team and help out. As my buddy told me I have helped him for a couple years now and I'm a member of the team whether I want to be or not. It's amazing I never thought I would be part of a team at the Chillibowl and I have already learned a few things I should be looking for at next years bowl. Namely taking a closer look at the cars that run, the driver that run and how they run. Track conditions played less a part than in past years, at least that is what I was told. Time for me to take a little closer look at track conditions next year and that means probably getting there a little earlier to see how the track takes shape during the week. I was told Racing Boys commented on track conditions being harder this year to pass another car. So if you didn't start up front and get a good pill draw the week could be rather long and discouraging. Supposedly it was not that way in past races at the Chillibowl.

Again, friendships are the big thing at the Chillibow. As I get older it's not so much if you win or loose but being part of the experience and absorbing and fulfilling a dream to be part of a team.

Sincerley,

Larry Otani and I hope you get well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users