Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tyler Nelson Fights Through Midget Week Finale

Tyler Nelson USAC IN Midget Week 2018

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

JessicaJ

JessicaJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Tyler Nelson Fights Through Midget Week Finale

By Jessica Jenkins

Attached File  2018-06 Kokomo Tyler 5997 600x451.jpg   341.53KB   0 downloads

After showing up Friday at Bloomington Speedway only to get rained out before he could even lay down a qualifying time, Tyler Nelson returned for USAC's Indiana Midget week finale Sunday at Kokomo Speedway.  With his hard working team of guys behind him, the racer from Kansas was looking to put together a solid showing in just his third USAC race this season.

Rolling out for his qualifying run, Nelson laid down the 25th fastest speed before starting shotgun on the heat 1 field due to his draw.  Immediately moving up to battle for 6th, an early yellow shifted his race with Keith Kunz Motorsports driver Rico Abreu to the top 5.  Fighting hard with each other, the top four transfer spot moved out of reach to send Nelson to the semi.

Attached File  2018-06 Kokomo Tyler 6143 443x300.jpg   163.56KB   0 downloads

Once the green flag fell on the last chance race, the #88 started building on an outside row 4 starting spot and had jumped into the sixth place by lap five.  Desiring more than that, Nelson moved to fifth with a couple laps remaining and easily put himself into the Feature.  Already topping his run at Kokomo in April, the 21 year old set to work in the main race of the evening from 21st.  Working to tune his Wilwood Disc Brakes/Superior Bearing & Supply Spike Chassis into competitive shape heading into the summer, each lap was an opportunity to take notes in making the handling better.  Against a tough field of cars that had raced each night of Midget Week, Nelson put up a fight running the inside line early and gaining a few spots.  Surviving multiple yellows and reds, Nelson walked out with a twentieth place result and car fully intact.

Afterwards he recounted, "I think we did our job tonight.  We had the wrong gear in it [in qualifying] and that just kind of puts you behind the 8 ball when you don't time in well.  We made it a lot better from qualifying to our heat race and picked up three-tenths.  We got in the A main and we've got to start focusing on that, especially with the changes in our race program. We just had to really hit the reset button and focus back.  I think we did well to make it into tonight's Main.  Obviously didn't move forward as far as we wanted to, but it's just a really tough crowd.  We made it up there early and I think I blistered my tire and kind of made my way towards the back.  But overall it was a pretty good night.  Rolling it into the trailer in one piece and we made the A main, so we did better than we did here in April and that's what we've got to keep doing.  We've just got to keep getting better and better."

This weekend Nelson will take his #88 to Macon Speedway for POWRi's Illinois Speedweek on June 9th.  Stay tuned to the Tyler Nelson Racing page on Facebook or follow him on Twitter @TylerNelson88 for updates and pictures from Kokomo.

Quick Results

Qualifying: 25th

Heat 1: start 7th ; finish 6th

Semi: start 8th ; finish 5th

Feature: start 21st ; finish 20th

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tyler Nelson, USAC, IN Midget Week, 2018

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users