Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Belleville Midgets 2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Racee14

Racee14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Jim,

Here's a few more questions about Belleville Midget racing

1.Name the driver that won the first USAC Midget race at Belleville. (Hint he was the last driver
to qualify a real roadster at Indy). And won several times at Belleville in Sprint Cars.

2. Name 7 drivers who have raced in the Indy 500, and the Belleville Midget Nationals.

3. Name 5 drivers that have raced in the Daytona 500, and the Belleville Midget Nationals.

4. Name 5 drivers who raced at Belleville in the BCRA (non wing sprinters) and the Belleville Midget Nationals

Bonus question, Encino, California driver Shane Scully was having the best year of his midget career
when he flipped out and over the fence at Belleville in the late 90's. His car was one of the best
looking in midget racing, and was numbered in honor of his racing hero. What was the number? and
who was the racing legend?

Ray

Top Row Jim

Top Row Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
Ray, With out looking up in any record books or Belleville programs, here is what I can think of in 5 minutes.
Question #1: no Idea
Question #2: John Andretti Ed Carpenter Jack Hewitt Tony Stewart
Question #3: John Andretti Tony Stewart Jeff Gordon Kasey Kahne J.J. Yeley Jason Leffler(?)
Question #4: no Idea
Bonus question: I know that Shane Sculley is the grand son of Louie Senter and his car was kind of a beige color with red numbers, I think #55, my memory is fading a bit. I do remember he landed by the outer fence that that is by the quonset hut. I have a picture of the car just before it goes over the fence in my collection somewhere. Who the hero is I'm not sure.
I will give it some more thought and I'm sure there are some others who can answer these great questions. Have at it guys. Jim
Midget racing is big time entertainment.

bitterwind

bitterwind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Ray, With out looking up in any record books or Belleville programs, here is what I can think of in 5 minutes.
Question #1: no Idea
Question #2: John Andretti Ed Carpenter Jack Hewitt Tony Stewart
Question #3: John Andretti Tony Stewart Jeff Gordon Kasey Kahne J.J. Yeley Jason Leffler(?)
Question #4: no Idea
Bonus question: I know that Shane Sculley is the grand son of Louie Senter and his car was kind of a beige color with red numbers, I think #55, my memory is fading a bit. I do remember he landed by the outer fence that that is by the quonset hut. I have a picture of the car just before it goes over the fence in my collection somewhere. Who the hero is I'm not sure.
I will give it some more thought and I'm sure there are some others who can answer these great questions. Have at it guys. Jim

bitterwind

bitterwind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
1. Bobby Grim
bonus---#56 (Hurtibuise?)

Racee14

Racee14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Jim,

Here's a few more questions about Belleville Midget racing

1.Name the driver that won the first USAC Midget race at Belleville. (Hint he was the last driver
to qualify a real roadster at Indy). And won several times at Belleville in Sprint Cars.

2. Name 7 drivers who have raced in the Indy 500, and the Belleville Midget Nationals.

3. Name 5 drivers that have raced in the Daytona 500, and the Belleville Midget Nationals.

4. Name 5 drivers who raced at Belleville in the BCRA (non wing sprinters) and the Belleville Midget Nationals

Bonus question, Encino, California driver Shane Scully was having the best year of his midget career
when he flipped out and over the fence at Belleville in the late 90's. His car was one of the best
looking in midget racing, and was numbered in honor of his racing hero. What was the number? and
who was the racing legend?

Ray

Jim, and Bitterwind, good answers

2. Name 7 drivers that raced at Indy and Belleville Nationals, the four you mentioned, and also JJ Yeley, Billy Boat (Jim, I think he won the first Nationals you went to) Johnny Parsons and Stan Fox, of course Boat, Parsons, Hewitt,
and Fox all won the Belleville Nationals, also Donnie Beechler.

3. 5 drivers that raced in the Daytona 500 and Belleville Nationals. All six you mentioned Jim,
plus Kenny Schrader, and possibly Ryan Newman. Jeff Gordon won Belleville, as well as Jason Leffler, and
Kasey Kahne.

4. Raced BCRA at Belleville and the Nationals, the first Belleville Nationals winner in 1978, Eddie Jackson,
several time RMMRA Champion Mike Gregg, and also a Belleville Nationals Champ, Jon Backlund, Gene Genetten,
Rick Montgomery, Steve Troxell, "Big" Al Murie, and Dean Ward.

Bitterwind, you are right on the two you answered.

1. The USAC Midgets came to Belleville in 1964, Bardahl
Bobby Grim, who dominated Belleville in IMCA Sprints was the winner.

Bonus was #56 for "Herk".

Great Job Guys, Ray

Racee14

Racee14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Jim,

2. Name 7 drivers who raced at Indy and the Belleville Nationals.

We both forgot the top Midget driver of all-time Mel Kenyon, who finished 3rd in the 1968 Indy 500
behind Bobby Unser and Dan Gurney, while winning 7 National titles in Midgets, and 111 USAC main events,
he only came to the Belleville Nationals once as a driver, but came back later with his son Bryce, when he raced in the Ford Focus series cars at Belleville.

Also Rich Vogler who is second only to Mel Kenyon in USAC wins with a whopping 95 wins, he also raced
in multiple Indy 500's, but made only one trip to the Nationals as a driver.

And finally the third winningest USAC Midget driver of all time, Bob Wente with 78 wins! Bob
was a early participant in the midget nationals, and raced in the Indy 500 way back in 1964.

Ray C

Top Row Jim

Top Row Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
Here is a funny story about Shane Scully. The Tuesday night before Belleville the midgets always ran at Eagle Raceway in Nebraska back in the day. During one of those shows, the announcer was giving facts about different drivers. When Shane was pushed off, the announcer said that Shane was a "body piercer" for his real job. Of course being in the car he could not hear that statement. After the races in the pits I mentioned to Shane that I didn't know he was a "body piercer". He said what are you talking about I am an engineer. His crew was laughing their butts off. Before the races someone handed out a question air asking for info on the drivers so the announcer could elaborate on each one. Shane was not in his pit when the guy handed out the form and his crew had a great time making up stuff to fill it out. Jim
Midget racing is big time entertainment.

Racee14

Racee14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Jim,

Thats a good one.

Ray C

Here is a funny story about Shane Scully. The Tuesday night before Belleville the midgets always ran at Eagle Raceway in Nebraska back in the day. During one of those shows, the announcer was giving facts about different drivers. When Shane was pushed off, the announcer said that Shane was a "body piercer" for his real job. Of course being in the car he could not hear that statement. After the races in the pits I mentioned to Shane that I didn't know he was a "body piercer". He said what are you talking about I am an engineer. His crew was laughing their butts off. Before the races someone handed out a question air asking for info on the drivers so the announcer could elaborate on each one. Shane was not in his pit when the guy handed out the form and his crew had a great time making up stuff to fill it out. Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users