Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Car Owners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Racing Junky

Racing Junky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Legendary Car Owners
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After reading some other threads on here, I thought it would be interesting to see a list of some of the Legendary race car owners throughout the years.

The drivers always seem to get the recognition...

Marty Boyer

Marty Boyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11793 posts
Here are a few that I think are some of the top car owners:

Mike Caruso

Steve Lewis

Don Kenyon

Harry Conklin

Arnie Knepper

Howard Linne

Bob Wilke

Bob & Gene Shannon

Doug Caruthers

J.C. Agajanian

mike finley

mike finley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I have a few car owners to add to your list..... Jack Stroud,,,,Joe Finley, if for no other reason, longevity, He was a midget owner for over 52 years......Joe Shaheen.....Loren "Pappy" Eldridge........."Junior" Knepper........The car owner needs more recognition,,, If ot weren't for him. the drivers would be running a FOOT race !!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. racer35k

Mrs. racer35k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
mike... your dad was certainly one of the best people i 've ever met. there were alot of st.louis area racing 'pesonalities' back in the days... hehe. but there was 1 guy i met in the mid70's that certainly didn't fit any 'mold'.. this old guy was from texas, if i remember correctly, and he hauled his (truly) home-built racecar in the back of an old ,old bus. it had a sesco in it ;remember, mid-70's, an engine that he cut apart himself and the( original sesco was truly a small block chevy motor litterally sawed in half, and the rt bank was used.) lower cases were machined from a billet, all done by this guy at his home machine shop. this guy spent the summer camped out in his bus in our yard 1 summer, and helped dad in the shop doing misc. machine work. this guy was a great machinist, and tool and die maker. i was amazed how this 80 or so year old man could be soooo sharp. he is long gone, of course, but i will always remember him. there will never be another person go racing like this guy did. his car was a red #19, and his name was walter(i think) allard. he also was called 'pop' allard. thanks for the topic, junky... it's kinda fun to remember. art knepper.

bitterwind

bitterwind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
I remember Mr. Allard coming to the midwest that year. As I remember it, he had several drivers during his stay. The ones I remember were Al Murie and Leo Dugo but I know there were others. It was near 100 degrees one day in Kansas Cityand
he was wearing a thick long sleeve shirt with a t-shirt underneath and a duckbill hat on , working on the race car. The rest of us were sweating our butts off. The car looked rather old but it didn't do too bad , if I remember right.

mike finley

mike finley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Walter Allard was a wonderfully brilliant man,,He hailed from Dallas....His original 1/2 chevy v8 engine was an engineering marvel...When he cut the engine in half he left the main bearing webs intact as part of the block, made his own drives and all the rest...His bus was a converted Dallas city bus that he took the rear engine out of anjd put in a front engine and trans, I believe from a chevy, then made a rear door and ramp to carry the car and converted the front of the bus to a camper... He traveled well into his 80's ...I think his son is still in Dallas area injvolved in racing...Just one of the many wonderful people I catalog in my memories of racing.......Oh Yea, that midget had 1/4 eliptic springs on the rear...I remember one year at the Oklahoma State Fair when "The Missouri Mule' drove that car to a Feature win..the track was so wet slick that you couldn't stand up on it...We took 2 cars to that show and expired the motor in both of them !!!!!!

mhlott

mhlott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Walter Allard was mechanical genius. He used to cut Down Buick axles and respline them for super modified race car back in the 1960's. His Grandson used to drive his 1/4 midget and now He (Jimmy Allard) has a racing machine shop in Ennis Texas. He takes after grandfather in that he is expert on Sprint's and Midgets in Texas. Just remembering him makes me smile, I remember the first he showed me his half V8 engine. every one else was using the old iron Dukes and he was running half of a 302. It was really strong.

Marshall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users