Welcome to MidgetMadness.com - The Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lockard Badger #69

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

moe#69

moe#69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, well I thought I would post some photos for any one who would like to see them. The rebuild is going good. Thanks, Tom

Attached Files

tb7118

tb7118

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
nice job

moe#69

moe#69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, Thanks for the complement. Canít wait to finish it, (some day) Ha Ha Ha.

racer35k

racer35k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
did any of these cars ever have a mazda/wankel rotary engine in it?

moe#69

moe#69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello. None of the ones I ever saw run. Chevy II or Ford pintoís are what I remember the badgers running. That doesnít mean there was not none?

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Hello. None of the ones I ever saw run. Chevy II or Ford pintoís are what I remember the badgers running. That doesnít mean there was not none?

Lockard put his Mazda Rotary in a conventional car. It was a junk yard engine with case hardened stationary gears, home done eyebrow ports and a home made throttle body fuel injector. They had about $2800 in the engine, but the rumor mill claimed it was a $15000 factory job and that doomed it.

Doc

moe#69

moe#69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, I think you are talking about this car. As you can see it's a upright not A badger. Jim McClean is driving it. Jim told me he never raced the car. Bob got the track or rented it? Jim shook the car down for Bob and someone took A picture. Thanks, Tom

Attached Files

racer35k

racer35k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
was it a lockard car (i know it had a rotary engine) that sat on the pole for the 1st copper classic at phoenix? or at least a usac midget race. the year would have been about 74 or 75. it was dq'ed for a body related infraction, so the run was disallowed. i know my info is correct, but just cannot remember if it was a lockard car. anybody help me here?

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
The car that was disqualified was the strange looking upright that Higman built for Gene Hamilton. The car looked like a Grand Rapids upright super-modified. The car, when I saw it, had a Sesco in it. Both owner and builder said it could easily have been re-skinned with a conventional body, but they were both too angry to do so.

Doc

DocF

DocF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Hello, I think you are talking about this car. As you can see it's a upright not A badger. Jim McClean is driving it. Jim told me he never raced the car. Bob got the track or rented it? Jim shook the car down for Bob and someone took A picture. Thanks, Tom

That would be the one I was talking about. I saw Johnny Parson, Jr. drive it indoors at Ft. Wayne. He had to make the feature through the hooligan as they had a gear in it that was so tight that it broke loose and never got a bite. For its heat and the rest of the day, they put a gear like a 3.78 (or thereabout) in it and lugged the engine down. It had gobs of power. We ran against it at Illiana with its long straights. We beat it but we were floating the valves in the little Offy half-way down the straight to do so. Of course, we had a fairly good driver in our car, Dana Carter.

Doc

moe#69

moe#69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

did any of these cars ever have a mazda/wankel rotary engine in it?

Here is A badger one with a rotary engine.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   57.03KB   13 downloads
  • Attached File  6.jpg   61.37KB   6 downloads

Midgets Rule

Midgets Rule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello, well I thought I would post some photos for any one who would like to see them. The rebuild is going good. Thanks, Tom

Man those pictures are awesome. That was a really cool car.

john burton

john burton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The Badger is looking GREAT! Spent a lot of time looking at the back bumper of that thing in the eighties with Mac McClellan driving it.

moe#69

moe#69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, John. Thanks for the kind words. I am hoping to have it done this winter. Then I will bring it to the track for the Lockard memorial. Cant wait to drive it around the track. I will post some more photos soon as I get back going on it.

Thanks again,Tom

moe#69

moe#69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Engine finally getting ready to go in. One more step to get her running!!!!=)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users